Saturday, July 24, 2010

Whatever Happened to the Dining Room?

My dining room with Bertie's fireplace.
I admit that I’m picky about architecture. Obviously, I like antiques and the style of the Victorian and Edwardian Eras. That’s why I live in a Victorian house. I realize that living in a hundred and twenty year old home is not for everyone. However, for me, the formality of the house is appealing.


I’ve noticed that new construction either downplays the formal dining room or doesn’t even feature one at all. The open floor plan and changing views on the way we live and interact has diminished the need for a formal dining room. Many people prefer to use the square footage for a space that’s more useful on a daily basis.

In my family, at my parents’ house, we eat in the dining room on holidays and special occasions. Yes, it’s a lot of work and clean-up, but doing so makes the day seem more special, and we enjoy the experience of sitting as a family, eating a gorgeous meal and taking in the warmth of the room.

Of course, in my own home, Bertie and I don’t eat in my dining room very often (maybe five times in eight years). I do, however, like having one because it makes the house seem like a real home to me. I’m always put off when I see a floor plan without a dining room. For me, it’s a place to display lovely objects and a place to be further removed from the chaos around us. For Bertie, it’s a place to sit in the fireplace on warm days (see below). We each have different priorities.

I’d be curious to hear your opinions on the concept of the dining room. Do you have one? Do you use it? Have you repurposed that room into something else? Feel free to post a comment. I’d like to know what you think.

No comments: