Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 81

Marjani pulled a creaky wooden chair to the side of the bed in which her daughter and son-in-law lay gasping for air. A gray mist settled in the room as if suspended from the rough wooden ceiling. At first, Marjani thought that the chimney wasn’t drawing properly, but there was no fire lit in the hearth. She breathed deeply and filled her lungs. The mist smelled of lavender and sage. She smiled.


“Have no fear, Chil’,” Marjani said softly, “The Holy Mother done heard my cries and she’ll make you well again.”

“No.” Nontle shook her head feverishly. “No.”

“Yes, Sugar.” Marjani said firmly. “Don’t go fightin’ it. You gotta get better. You got your little girl ta think of.”

“Keep my baby safe, Mama.” Nontle groaned.

“I will, Honey, but jus’ ‘till you get back on your feet.” Marjani answered.

“Mama Caruthers.” Her son-in-law gasped.

“What is it, Kirabo?” Marjani asked.

“Ain’t gonna make it.” Kirabo moaned.

“Don’t talk like that.” Marjani said plainly. “You gotta. The Holy Mother is here. She’s gonna help ya.”

“She ain’t here, Mama Caruthers.” Kirabo groaned. “She ain’t never been here.”

“Stop that talk, Kirabo.” Marjani responded angrily. “You jus’ stop it.”

“My name ain’t Kirabo.” The man wheezed. “My name is Gilbert.”

“I ain’t callin’ you by the name they done give ya.” Marjani said. “I’m gonna call you by the name your mama done give ya. You ain’t no Gilbert. You was born Kirabo…”

“An’ I’ll die Gilbert.” Kirabo rattled.

“No, you ain’t.” Marjani argued. “The Lady Mother done heard my cries. She’s here with us right now. She’s come for to heal you! Don’t you go doubtin’ the Holy Mother.”

“Nothin’ gonna help us now, Mama.” Nontle said weakly.

“Jus’ stop it!” Marjani shouted. She caught herself and spoke softly. “Now, you both gotta think sweet thoughts. Think of your Columbia and happy times. Your baby girl needs her mama and her papa.”

“I ain’t her papa.” Kirabo coughed. “You know that well as I do. Her papa is that fine…”

“You’re the only papa she knows.” Marjani interrupted.

The cabin creaked around them. Marjani thought she heard the gentle voice of a woman rise from the earth like dust. A stiff cold wind blew against the thin wooden walls and forced its way in between the planks—hissing and whistling as it triumphantly cut into the cabin.

Marjani’s eyes widened. “That ain’t the Lady Mother.” She rose and went to the narrow window, peering outside. “That’s somethin’ else. Somethin’ come for to punish me.” She looked to the ceiling of the cabin and called out, “I done only used that powder for good! No use punishin’ me when all I wanted was for to help them nice gentlemen.”

The walls rattled again and Marjani gasped. “I won’t be punished.” She clenched her eyes shut. “I won’t.” She drew in a breath and shouted. “If anyone’s gonna be punished, it’s the wicked ones!”

Meanwhile, at the Rittenhouse stables, Mr. Punch angrily pulled away from Iolanthe Evangeline.

“Get your hands off me.” Punch said sharply.

“You be quiet and listen.” Iolanthe said weakly as she lay back in the hay.

“Miss Evangeline, I don’t think you should be talkin’ right now.” Barbara said nervously.

“Why not?” Iolanthe asked, wincing from the pain in her shoulder. “Why hide any longer?”

“Let her talk,” The professor said in a strange voice. “Let her talk or I will.”

“This is delicious.” Ulrika smiled wildly as she flopped herself down onto a bale of hay.

“Shut that demon girl up,” Iolanthe growled.

“Now, now,” Ulrika laughed. “Is that any way to treat your hostess?”

“Listen to me, Lord Fallbridge.” Iolanthe began, ignoring Ulrika.

“Here, I’m listenin’.” Mr. Punch frowned—making no attempt to continue his impersonation of Julian.

“You know your sister is a ruined woman.” Iolanthe smiled.

“True.” Mr. Punch nodded. “Had a child, she did. Not married neither.”

“I am married.” Barbara spat defiantly.

Mr. Punch raised Julian’s eyebrows. “To him?”

“Yes.” Barbara grinned. “Arthur is my husband.”

“Wasn’t your husband when you had the baby, was he?” Mr. Punch frowned.

“I don’t have the baby now. So, what does it matter?”

“The baby,” Iolanthe laughed. “The baby. Made a nice bit of money on that one.”

“You sold the child.” Mr. Punch said angrily. “I knew that you sold that baby what done nothin’ except be born.”

“Yes, I sold it. And, why not?” Iolanthe moaned as her shoulder began to throb again.

“Miss Evangeline!” Ulrika said. “Stop!”

“The money I made more than paid for the expense of bringing Barbara here. There was even enough left over for Leon…” She pointed at the professor. “He’s an oaf, but he did his job well enough even if he did lose Arthur for awhile. But, that had more to do with you than anything else.”

“Why? Why did you bring Barbara here?” Mr. Punch asked.

“To make a profit.” Iolanthe grinned. “She’s a fine lookin’ girl. I’m sure to get my money’s worth out of her. Besides, she promised me great riches if I were to take her.”

“What kind of riches?” Punch asked.

“The kind that last forever…” Iolanthe responded.

“Will you please cease your talking?” Barbara barked.

“The diamond…” Mr. Punch began.

Suddenly, the stable doors blew open as a violent wind knocked against the building. One of the doors upset a wooden stool which held a kerosene lamp. The lamp fell into the hay, shattering. Within seconds, the dry hay was ablaze. The room grew bright with fire.

Ulrika jumped up and shrieked. “I don’t like fire!” She screamed. “Someone put it out!”

Naasir and Mr. Punch looked at one another. Naasir smiled.

“Arthur!” Barbara screamed. “Do something!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-80? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

So much more to learn, this story just gets better!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy. Yes, there's still a lot to learn. Everytime they get close to finding an answer, something prevents them from getting all the way there. Hopefully, Marjani's prayer to see the "wicked ones" punished will not also punish the "good ones."