Saturday, November 6, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 90

Robert rose from the bed and stood in front of it, blocking Nanny Rittenhouse’s view of Mr. Punch.


Toby pulled back his ears and growled.

“How did you get in here?” Robert asked.

“I simply told one of the girls in the kitchen that I was His Lordship’s nanny and dear companion when he was a lad. She gladly let me in when I suggested that I could bring him some comfort during his recuperation from that dreadful fire. I believe her name was Gamilla or something like that. Their names are so strange, you know. I can never keep track of which is which.”

“No doubt, our names seem strange to them,” Robert frowned. “Your sentiment is admirable—at least regarding His Lordship, however, presently, I am the only companion he needs.”

“I can help nurse him back to health.” The nanny continued. “I know all of his quirks. Of course, I do have my duties to think of, but I can come here in the evenings when the children have settled down. I do have a maid of my own at my disposal. She’ll happily take some of the responsibility if I were to spend some time here.”

“Miss Rittenhouse,” Robert said firmly, “I’m a physician. I think I’m perfectly able to look after His Lordship on my own.”

“Oh, but you’ve been so ill yourself, haven’t you? With your terrible infection… Surely, you’re as weak as a little kitten yourself.”

“We have a house full of servants at our disposal as well as His Lordship’s man, Naasir. We’ll carry on quite nicely. Thank you. And, good evening.”

“Your Lordship,” the nanny continued, straining her neck to see Julian/Punch behind Robert. “How are you feeling?”

“Believe me chum bid you ‘good evening,’ Agnes.” Mr. Punch answered.

“Agnes?” Miss Rittenhouse said as if insulted.

“That is your Christian name, ain’t it?” Mr. Punch grumbled, “If you can call anythin’ ‘bout you Christian.”

“Well, yes, but isn’t it so much nicer when we call one another by our formal names? I wouldn’t dream of calling you ‘Julian.’ Now, that’s not how I taught you to behave, is it? I don’t care how old you are, young man. You must continue to behave like a proper gentleman.”

“Ha!” Mr. Punch whooped. “Then, you’re a fool cuz there ain’t nothin’ proper ‘bout me. See, I ain’t a gentleman. Me chum is. And while he may be all polite and formal wit’ ya, I’m not against getting’ up outta this bed and hittin’ ya with something. So, you’d best do what he said only I’ll slap ya all the way back to your own house.”

“He’s fevered.” Nanny Rittenhouse exclaimed. “He always used to act like this when he wasn’t feeling well. Dr. Halifax, you see, I was correct. You need my assistance. Clearly, you’re not able to care for His Lordship properly.”

“Good evening, Miss Rittenhouse.” Robert said sternly.

“Mayn’t I stay and talk with His Lordship for awhile?” The nanny asked quickly. “It is Christmas. I think that reminiscing about his boyhood would cheer him so.”

“Bloody likely!” Mr. Punch shouted.

“Lord Fallbridge!” Miss Rittenhouse scolded him. “Such language.”

“I got more.” Mr. Punch grinned. “Bullox!”

Robert smiled. “Good evening, Miss Rittenhouse.”

“This won’t do. Dr. Halifax, it’s my understanding that you’re used to rough people—treating those poor indigents and charity cases that you do, but this sort of behavior is not acceptable in a nobleman. I can’t let you encourage it. Lord Fallbridge needs someone who understands his own kind.”

“You’re correct,” Robert nodded. “He does need someone who understands his own kind. You’re also correct, I am accustomed to rough people. I’ve learned quite a lot from them. Shall I show you what I’ve learned?”

“How dare you, Sir?” Miss Rittenhouse gasped.

“If you don’t get out of this room, I will physically remove you. I assure you that it won’t be pleasant.”

Mr. Punch laughed loudly. “That’s the way to do it.”

“I will return when the two of you are thinking more clearly.” Miss Rittenhouse responded in a quavering voice.

“Get your rottin’ carcass outta here!” Mr. Punch shouted. Toby barked.

The nanny hurried from the room.

Once she’d left, Robert smiled at Mr. Punch, “We’d best have a chat with Gamilla about whom she should and shouldn’t let in.”

“Here,” Mr. Punch grunted. “What’s she want, then? She wasn’t comin’ here outta kindness. Ain’t nothin’ kind ‘bout her.”

“No, Mr. Punch.” Robert shook his head. “This had all the makings of something Arthur has dreamed up.”

“What ‘bout that red-headed one? That Ulrika. They’re kin, she and the nanny.”

“They are. I wonder… What could Ulrika profit from having her cousin come here?”

“Dunno.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “She’s carryin’ on with Arthur, that one. Saw that they were thick as thieves when we were in the stables.”

Mr. Punch sniffed and hugged the dog closer to him.

“What’s troubling you, dear Punch?” Robert asked.

“Wanna go home.” Mr. Punch said, wiping his eyes. “Don’t like it here, I don’t. Nice big house in Belgrave Square just waitin’ for us—all me master’s things in it. Lots a room for you and me and Toby and me master to play. Just wanna go home.”

“We shall go home.” Robert said gently. “However, there’s ‘much to contend with here, first. There’s Barbara. The Molliner Blue is still missing. We must somehow find a way to retrieve Barbara’s child from those Cages. And, what of Iolanthe Evangeline? If she did, in fact, order Sir Colin’s murder, she’ll have to be dealt with.”

“I know.” Mr. Punch nodded. “Doesn’t make it feel no better.”

“I understand.” Robert said, returning to his seat at the foot of the bed.

They sat in silence for awhile until Robert cleared his throat.

Mr. Punch looked at him quizzically.

“God rest you merry, gentlemen,” Robert began in a clear voice.

Mr. Punch raised Julian’s eyebrows.

“Let nothing you dismay,” Robert continued.

“Here,” Mr. Punch smiled. “You’re singin’, you are.”

Robert nodded as he continued, “For Jesus Christ our Savior was born upon this day,”

Mr. Punch joined him.

To save us all from Satan's power
When we were gone astray:
O tidings of comfort and joy,
comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy.

They sang together.

Toby wagged his tail.

Meanwhile, Ulirka met Nanny Rittenhouse on La Rue de la Colline Cramoisie.

“You’ve failed!” Ulrika hissed, shivering in the cold. “Arthur grab her arms!”

Arthur did as instructed—restraining the woman from behind. The nanny began to scream, but Ulrika clamped a freezing hand over the old woman’s mouth.

“I do not accept failure!”

Nanny Rittenhouse struggled, biting Ulrika’s hand.

Ulrika yelped and pulled her hand back.

“You’re a devil, Ulrika Rittenhouse!” The nanny spat. “I curse you! My prayer is that one day the fires of Hell will rise to the earth and take you—take you!”

Ulrika slapped Miss Rittenhouse sharply across the face.

“Get back in there and do as you were told!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-89? If so, you can read them here. And, come back on Monday, November 8 for Chapter 91 of Punch’s Cousin.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

Cheers! Old Nanny Rittenhouse had a whack coming to her from somewhere and it's great that it came from one of her own. Hurray for Robert and Punch and even Toby! I'm thinking of a half-dozen actresses who'd LOVE to vamp around as the evil Ulrika. It would be grand to see this made into a film.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, I thought it was time that Nanny got a good slap. I would also like to see this made into a film. I could also think of half a dozen actresses who'd like to play Ulrika as well as Adrienne, and, especially Iolanthe Evangeline! Thanks, Dashwood!

Darcy said...

I love that Robert gave Mr. Punch a chance to sing. What a touching gesture.
Nanny Rittenhouse did have a slap coming to her,but Ulrika and Arthur could use one too.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Perhaps Father Christmas will bring a big sack of slaps for Ulrika, Arthur and Barbara. Thank you for reading, Darcy!