Thursday, January 20, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 149

Let her go,” Mr. Punch said firmly. “Take me. This woman’s got a child what needs her. You can understand that.”


Iolanthe’s lip quivered.

“Take me,” Mr. Punch repeated. “No sense punishin’ a child what’s done nothin’ to no one.”

Iolanthe released Adrienne and grabbed Mr. Punch by the arm, holding the dagger to his chest.

Cecil rushed to Adrienne and put his arms around his wife who sobbed into his chest.

“Everyone’d better step aside.” Iolanthe shouted to the frightened crowd. “Let me pass.”

“Don’t do this,” Robert demanded.

“No more talking,” Iolanthe hissed. She reared her head back and howled. “Everyone’s always talkin’.” She shook her head. “It’s easy for all of you, ain’t it? Easy to call me a monster. Easy to damn me for what I’ve done. What about what all of you have done? Sure, you go on with your lives and you make your judgements. You call me “ogress” and label me a murderess. There’s a murder far worse than death. There are sins far greater than mine!”

Iolanthe pulled the hat from Julian’s head and grabbed a fistful of his hair, jerking his head upward. Mr. Punch yelped. “Look at this one! Look at him! You think he’s so fine just because he’s got a fancy title and a handsome face? He’s a lunatic! But, everyone thinks he’s charming because there’s gold in his coffers. Ain’t he a sinner?”

“What harm has he ever done to you?” Robert shouted. “He saved you. He carried you from that burning stable!”

“That’s his sin!” Iolanthe growled. “He should have let me burn. That’s what he’s done to me.”

“Release him at once!” Robert demanded.

“Quiet, Chum.” Mr. Punch whispered.

Iolanthe released Mr. Punch’s hair, but still held firmly to his arm. “I suggest you all examine your own souls before you start makin’ judgments about mine.”

“Soul?” A woman’s voice said clearly from deep within the crowd. “You have no soul, Iolanthe Evangeline. Maybe you done had one once, but you ain’t no more.”

The crowd parted as a dark-skinned woman in a bright pink turban walked forward.

“Take your hands off that poor fool,” The woman ordered.

“Who dares to give me orders?” Iolanthe squinted into the crowd.

“Don’t you know my voice?” The woman laughed as she came closer.

Iolanthe gasped. “Marie!”

The people in the ballroom scattered to the perimeters of the room like leaves in a windstorm, fueled by whispers of “Marie Laveau. The Voodoo Queen!”

“Don’t come no closer, Marie.” Iolanthe barked.

“Iolanthe Evangeline,” Marie Laveau smiled. “I told you when you broke away from me that one day, I’d get you back.”

“Not this day,” Iolanthe laughed wildly.

“That sad simpleton ain’t gonna be no good to ya,” Marie said clearly and firmly, “let him go.”

With one quick motion, Iolanthe cut a button from Mr. Punch’s coat. “Not until my hands are warmed by his blood.”

Marie Laveau climbed up onto the platform.

“I’m telling you, Marie,” Iolanthe spat. “If you come closer, I’ll kill him.”

“If you wanted to kill him, you’d have done so already.” Marie shook her head. “Let the fool be free.”

“Why are you here?” Iolanthe stammered.

“I come for you.” Marie grinned. “Do you forget that I hear the words in the air?”

“These people aim to destroy me.” Iolanthe hissed.

“Yes.” Marie smiled. “It would give them great pleasure. But, that pleasure shall not be theirs.”

From the folds of her multi-colored gown, Marie Laveau retrieved a red leather pouch. She held it aloft and hurled it to the floor. With a flash of light, the room filled with gray smoke.

The party-goers screamed, coughing and sputtering. Cecil reached for Adrienne and pulled her off of the stage. Robert shouted for Mr. Punch as the smoke filled his lungs.

As the smoke began to dissipate, Robert looked up to see that not only had Iolanthe and Marie Laveau disappeared, but so had Mr. Punch.

“Dear God!” Robert bellowed. “Cecil!”

Cecil and Adrienne hurried back to Robert. “They’ve taken him.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-148? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

What an absolutely chilling scene. Actually got goose flesh!

What person who has ever read about Marie Laveau would see her as a potential heroine?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Compared to Iolanthe, Marie Laveau is almost a girl scout.