Saturday, February 5, 2011

At the Music Hall: Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty

Florrie Forde
Take me back to dear old Blighty!
Put me on the train for London town!
Take me over there,
Drop me anywhere,
Liverpool, Leeds, or Birmingham, well, I don't care!

I should love to see my best girl,
Cuddling up again we soon should be,
WHOA!!!

Tiddley iddley ighty,
Hurry me home to Blighty,
Blighty is the place for me!


The term “Blighty” became a sentimental nickname for England, especially during the first World War. “Blighty” is actually derived from a Hindustani word meaning “foreigner” and was used in India to refer to typically British people and things. The term was adopted by the English in India, and later in other parts of the world, to fondly recall their country of origin.

During the first World War, the song, Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty became a popular favorite. It summed up the feelings of soldiers stationed away from home who often hoped for a “blighty wound”—one which was serious enough to be sent home, but not so serious as to be life-threatening.

To this day, “Blighty” continues to be used to fondly refer to England, and Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty remains a sentimental favorite. Here’s a version as sung by popular World War I singer, Florrie Forde.

No comments: