Monday, February 21, 2011

Object of the Day: A Louis XV Style Parquetry Table

I have always really liked the look of French Louis XV style furniture with its ormolu mounts and clever, attractive parquetry. When I was looking for the perfect dining room table for my house, I had a specific image in mind and was prepared to search until I found it. Fortunately, I found it.


Technically, this table is not a dining table, but rather a center table. It’s taller than the usual dining table, but that’s quite all right. A large urn-shaped base rises up from three turned legs which sport ornate ormolu mounts. The edge of the table is lines with a delicate pattern of ormolu which mirrors the inlaid pattern on the tabletop. Styled after the furniture of Louis XV, I’d say this table dates to about 1910 when a resurgence of this style was all the rage.

Though I use it so infrequently, I do love my table. This style offers a lot of visual weight and importance without being pretentious. And, best of all, It’s another elegant surface under which Bertie can hide his toys.


No comments: