Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 160

How are you with hair?” Marie Laveau asked.


“Pardon me?” Barbara Allen squinted.

“Hair, girl. Hair! Can you coif a woman’s hair?” Marie hissed.

“Yes,” Barbara nodded. “I think so.”

“Good.” Marie smiled. “Imagine—me sendin’ a white woman to them rich ladies’ houses. Won’t they just think I’m high-tone?”

“That’s what you intend to do with me? You intend to use me as a hairdresser?” Barbara asked, tilting her head to one side.

“I’d say it’s a damn lot better than what you were doin’ for Iolanthe.” Marie laughed.

“I’m not complaining,” Barbara nodded. “But, surely that’s not all…”

“No, girl.” Marie laughed. “That ain’t all. I got big plans for you.”

“Such as?”

“Such as takin’ care of Iolanthe once and for all.” Marie winked. “But, don’t think me unfair. No. All my folks is treated fairly. I’ll help you, too. It ain’t the way it is with Iolanthe. See, I’ll help you get what you want. Like that husband of yours. No sense havin’ a husband if he’s with another woman all the time. You want him back?”

“God help me, but I do.” Barbara frowned.

“No tellin’ what love’ll do.” Marie howled with laughter. “The man’s messin’ around on ya. And, he shot your brother! But, you want him back!” She rocked back and forth as she laughed. “And, so, it shall be, Barbara Allen. So, it shall be.”

“I’ll do anything you ask.” Barbara said.

“Of course you will, chil’.” Marie grinned. “Of course, you will.” She sighed. “Now, let me show you to your room. You better get plenty of sleep tonight, girl. Tomorrow’s gonna be right busy for ya.”

At that very moment, in her own home, Iolanthe Evangeline paced slowly across the plush carpets in her bedroom.

“Do sit down, Iolanthe.” Ulrika barked. “You’re making me dizzy.”

“Just because I’m entertainin’ the idea of workin’ with you, Ulrika Rittenhouse, don’t give you the right to order me around. And, I don’t want you thinkin’ it does!”

Arthur chuckled. “She told you, Pet.”



“Shut your man up, Ulrika!” Iolanthe growled.

“Seems she’s told you, too.” Ulrika smiled.

Arthur grunted.

“Really, Iolanthe,” Ulrika sighed. “What’s gotten into you? Ever since that…woman…was here, you’ve been quite shattered. She’s just a servant, for God’s sake!”

“No,” Iolanthe shook her head. “She’s more than that.”

“She works for the Duke of Fallbridge.” Ulrika shook her head. “She only came here to try to rattle you because, like all of the people who are associated with that loon, she’s strangely loyal to him. She just wanted to scare you. Don’t let her. It’s unlike you, really.”

“Who are you to tell me what I’m like?” Iolanthe spat. “What does that woman mean bringing that statue into this house?”

“It’s just a souvenir figure of the Virgin Mary. Really, you can buy them at the French Market. Frankly, I find it humorous. Imagine—giving you, of all people, the Virgin Mary!”

“Shut up, bitch.” Iolanthe grumbled.

“Oh, honestly,” Ulrika sighed, “if it bothers you so much…here!” Ulrika grabbed the figurine and flung it across the room. It shattered on the hearth of the fireplace. “Now, it’s just a pile of broken chalk. No threat to you!”

“Why?” Iolanthe shrieked. “Why did you do that?”

Meanwhile, at their borrowed house on Royal Street, Robert and Marjani continued to chat softly. All the while, Robert kept his eyes fixed on Julian’s body—waiting for some sign of consciousness.

Suddenly, Marjani’s head bolted upright and she grinned.

“Marjani?” Robert asked. “Is everything all right?”

“Oh, yes, sir.” Marjani nodded. “Things are happenin’.”

Little did they know, but things were happening inside Julian’s body, too.

“Dear Punch,” Julian sighed. “Do sit down again. Please.”

“Can’t.” Mr. Punch replied as he walked frantically around the ethereal room inside Julian’s body.

“Please,” Julian smiled.

“Very well,” Punch responded, returning to his spot in the chair across from Julian’s.

“Now, tell me, what’s going on in your mind? You know I don’t know what you think. We share a body, but our minds are separate.”

“I’m just rememberin’.” Punch answered quietly.

“It’s time to help me remember, too.” Julian said gently.

“You’re right.” Mr. Punch sighed. “I know you’re right. I’ll tell you now.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-159? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

Whatever horrible experience Punch is shielding from Julian needs to be brought out and sterilized by daylight. And no better time than when they're surrounded by such a loyal and intuitive group of friends.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, that's quite right, Dashwood. At least for the time being, Iolanthe and the others are occupied by their own business. They should take advantage of what is a comparatively peaceful moment.

Book Gurl said...

This just gets more and more interesting. I can't wait to see what happens with marie Laveau and Julian's sister.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks Book Gurl!