Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 172

The Duke of Fallbridge?” Charles chuckled. “Now, what’d a man like that want with me?”


“He needs a new valet.” Barbara said softly.

“And, you know this how?” Charles grinned.

“It’s a long story,” Barbara blushed.

“I’m listening,” Charles nodded.

“Well,” Barbara shook her head, “Surely you’ve heard that His Grace’s valet was tragically burned in a fire? The man has passed away. That leaves the Duke with no assistance. I happen to know that he’s been shot—the Duke has. He’s going to need extra care.”

“Why’s he been shot? Did he get caught messin’ with another aristocrat’s wife?”

“Hardly,” Barbara chuckled.

“So, why has he been shot, then?” Charles asked.

“I’m sure he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Barbara said quickly.

“I see.” Charles winked.

“By all accounts, His Grace is a very kind and pleasant man. I do know that he’s also considered a trifle eccentric. He’s been known to have bouts of…well, excitability wherein he speaks and acts in a manner that is not exactly what one would expect from a nobleman. However, most consider those times to be when he’s at his most charming. He lives with another gentleman—a doctor who is…” Barbara tried not to smirk, “…quite pleasant. They share a home presently with this doctor’s brother and wife. They’re all very kind people. I’m sure you would enjoy working for His Grace. And, then, you’d have a chance to see England. I can’t imagine you want to stay in New Orleans forever.”

“I don’t” Charles said firmly. “But, what makes you think His Grace would want to secure me as a valet? I don’t have much experience. I’m a footman. Workin’ here for Dr. and Miss L'Ebène, I don’t get much of a chance to be ‘round gentlemen. Dr. L'Ebène’s never here. See, he’s always out at…well, he’s with other people. That leaves me here to tend to Miss Heralda. And, honestly, I don’t have much to do with her since she relies on the girls more than she does me. Besides, I don’t think she’d be very likely to write me a recommendation if I were to just sudden-like announce I’m leavin’. And, the Duke ain’t gonna hire me without a recommendation.”

“We could secure you a very good recommendation.” Barbara said confidently.

“How do ya figure?” Charles laughed.

“I’m just sure that we could.”

“All right, Miss. Now’d be a good time for you to be honest with me. You ain’t no hairdresser. You don’t really work for Marie Laveau. What’s your real story? What do you know ‘bout the Duke of Fallbridge? How are you so certain ‘bout all this? What’s it to you if I get a new job. We only just met. And, what’s it to you if the Duke gets a new valet or not?”

“Very well, Charles, I’ll be honest with you.” Barbara sighed. “It would be a nice change of pace. You’re correct, I’m not really Barbara Allen. I am Barbara, Lady Fallbridge. His Grace is my brother.”

At that very moment, Adrienne knocked on the door to Julian’s bedroom.

“Come in,” Robert said.

“Merci,” Adrienne smiled. “And, how is our favorite man today?”

“He’s still weak,” Robert answered. “And, feverish. However, I think overall, he’s doing better.”

“Here, I don’t need you talkin’ ‘bout me like I’m not in the room!” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“Sorry, dear Punch,” Robert winked. “Why don’t you tell Adrienne yourself how you feel?”

“’Bout like he said.” Mr. Punch smiled.

Adrienne chuckled. “I’m glad to hear it.” She turned to Robert. “Would you mind looking in on Gamilla? Marjani is busy with the men from the…”

“It’s all right, Lady Chum.” Mr. Punch sighed. “I know that the mortician’s here.”

“I’ll certainly take a look at Gamilla.” Robert said. “Providing that you keep our Punch company.”

“With pleasure.” Adrienne smiled.

When Robert had left the room, Adrienne sat in the chair next to Punch’s bed.

“So, dear Punch,” Adrienne began, “are you really feeling stronger?”

“I am.” Mr. Punch nodded. He paused, “Sister Chum?”

“Yes?”

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course, my dear.” Adrienne smiled.

“Have you ever kept a secret?” Mr. Punch asked. “Somethin’ what you know you need to keep so you don’t hurt someone?”

“Yes.” Adrienne said softly. “Many times—though I wish I could say I had not.”

“Will ya help me, then?” Mr. Punch asked.

“With what?”

“To keep a secret.” Mr. Punch responded.

“From whom?”

“From Julian.” Mr. Punch answered flatly.



Did you miss Chapters 1-171? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Punch surely is going to go down fighting to keep their secret. Have to admire him for that.

Charles could develop into a wonderful "double agent" character. Will be fun to watch.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, Punch certainly sticks fast to what he believes in. Thanks, Dashwood!