Saturday, February 19, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 175

Robert squinted at Meridian. He was tired and his eyes burned. He hadn’t slept much the night before—getting up frequently to look-in on Julian.


“I’m sorry,” Robert mumbled. “Could you repeat that?”

“There’s a man here for to see ya, Dr. Halifax.” Meridian repeated.

“A man?” Robert asked. “Who is this man?”

“He says he’s called Charles Van Eyck.”

“I know no one by that name.” Robert shrugged. “Van Eyck? A Dutchman? No, I don’t know him.”

“No, sir, I don’t believe you do.” Meridian continued. “He’s come ‘bout the position of valet.” She nodded, adding, “for His Grace.”

“Valet?” Robert grumbled. “We’ve not advertised for the position. How did he know?”

“I’m not sure.” Meridian said.

“Send him away, please.” Robert sighed. “Tell him that…I don’t know. Get his information, if you would. We’ll contact him another time. We’ll send him a letter or something…”

“If you’ll pardon me sayin’ so,” Meridian began, “I think it’d be worth seein’ him. He seems like a nice enough fella, smart and not so bad lookin’, if you know what I mean.”

“I don’t much care what he looks like,” Robert grumbled. “I’ve got too many things that need my attention at present to…”

Meridian nodded.

“Very well.” Robert muttered. “Perhaps we could use the help.”

“Now, Sir, I don’t mean for to pressure ya.” Meridian smiled gently. “We got plenty o’ help ‘roud here. One of the men outside can come in and help if we need ‘im.”

“Well, we do need someone trained in assisting a gentleman.” Robert grunted. “I’ll see him. If you would, please, have him wait in the front parlor. I’ll be there in a moment.”

“Of course, Doctor.” Meridian grinned.

Robert looked around the empty kitchen where he’d been sitting, mixing medication for Julian and Gamilla.

Marjani entered via the back passage and cleared her throat so as not to startle Robert.

“Ah, Marjani.” Robert stood up and smiled.



“Anything I can do for ya?” Marjani asked.

“Surely you’re exhausted.” Robert answered. “You’ve not gotten any more sleep than I.”

“I feel fine,” Marjani grinned. “Columbia’s gotten her bath and is out back playin’ with little Fuller. Gamilla’s been given her supper. I done helped Meridian with the supper for the Halifaxes. Last I checked on His Grace, he was playin’ with his puppet. So, I got some free time if ya need anything.”

“Would you mind finishing these tinctures?” Robert asked. “They just want mixing.”

“Be happy to.” Marjani nodded. “You gotta get out there to talk to the new valet.”

“How did you…” Robert began, pausing to chuckle. “What am I saying? Of course you know. You know everything, don’t you?”

Marjani winked.

“But, we’ve not hired the man yet.” Robert smiled.

“You will.” Marjani nodded.

“How can you be so sure?” Robert asked.

Marjani grinned.

“Of course, you’re sure.” Robert sighed. “Well, Marjani, you never know. I might surprise you.”

“You might,” Marjani nodded again.

As Robert walked from the room she whispered to herself, “but you won’t.”

Robert entered the front parlor and was surprised to see Adrienne and Cecil talking with a dark-haired man with piercing blue eyes.

“You must be Charles,” Robert said politely.

“Yes, Sir.” Charles bowed his head.

“Robert, dear,” Adrienne began, “We’ve just been talking with Charles. He comes very highly qualified.”

“From where do you come?” Robert asked.

“I presently work for Dr. Odil L'Ebène and his sister, Miss Heralda.”

“L'Ebène?” Robert repeated.

“We know him,” Cecil said. “And his sister. An interesting family…”

“If you’re currently employed, why are you here?” Robert asked.

“Well, Sir, I think every man has a right to better himself. I don’t want to be just a footman all my life. I’d like to see something of the world. I thought working with titled people would give me a chance to be in a position where I could grow and do some good.”

“I see.” Robert answered. “And, just how did you know that His Grace needed a valet?”

“Sir, New Orleans is a small place.” Charles answered. “Especially amongst free, white servants. We do tend to talk.”

“Ah,” Robert nodded.

“However, I want you to know, Sir, that discretion is always of the utmost importance to me. I never talk about the people for whom I work. The privacy of the family is very important to me.”

“That’s good to know.” Robert replied. “If you were to work for His Grace, you’d have to understand that you would be privy to information and occasions that must be kept strictly secret at all times.”

“I understand completely.” Charles nodded.

“Do you have references?” Robert asked.

“He does.” Adrienne spoke up, reaching toward the trestle table behind her and retrieving a bright, white envelope. “Quite good.”

Charles glanced quickly at the envelope. The motion of his eyes didn’t escape Robert.

“I should like to look at that.” Robert said. “Of course, you realize that the final decision belongs to the Duke of Fallbridge. You’ll be serving him primarily.”

“I’d very much like to meet the Duke.” Charles smiled. “I hear he’s a most exceptional man.”

“He is.” Robert nodded.

“Would it be possible for me to meet him this afternoon?”

“No.” Robert shook his head. “His Grace has been injured. He’s recovering. We can’t have him disturbed presently.”

“I would not disturb him, Dr. Halifax.” Charles shook his head. “If anything, I could be of some assistance. I’d very much like to begin right away.”

“What’s your hurry, Charles?” Robert narrowed his eyes.

“No hurry, Sir. I suppose I’m just eager.”

“So eager,” Robert said, squinting at the paper he held in his hands, “that you’d forge this letter of recommendation?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-174? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, February 21, 2011 for Chapter 176 of Punch’s Cousin.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

Robert may not surpise Marjani but he's no fool either. Interesting that he'd spot the references as faked. But he is, after all, a scientist. Looking forward to Monday, as usual.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, obviously something alerted him that there was a problem. We'll have to see what Charles has to say. Have a good weekend!

Darcy said...

I remember in the first chapter of "Punch's Cousin" being very wary of the shadowy figure that turned out to be Mr. Punch. Right now I am wary of Charles, it will be interesting to see if he'll turn out to be friend or foe.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy. Things aren't always what they seem in their world.