Thursday, March 10, 2011

Object of the Day: A Large Bristol Glass Vase

This is the Frankenstein’s Monster of Bristol glass. It’s big and ungainly and not terribly bright. It almost looks like a normal piece of Bristol glass, but it somehow misses the mark. Sure, it’s a milky-white color with a hand-painted pattern of flowers and gilt detailing at the neck base and around the ruffled top. But, it’s so big and it’s such an awkward shape…


By now, you may have guessed that this is not my favorite object in the house. It was a gift and I keep it around because I respect it for its age, and…well, that’s about it. It’s old, certainly mid-to-late 1800’s. For that reason alone, I should respect it. I also find it an interesting reminder that not everything is perfect.

I will note that it photographs much better than it looks in person. How fortunate for it…


No comments: