Saturday, March 19, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 199

Barbara Allen?” Edward Cage screamed at Odo.


“Yes, Sir.” Odo smirked.

“Are we singing pub songs now, Boy?” Edward bellowed. “What in blazes are you talking about?”

“The woman that was here.” Odo grinned. “Her name was Barbara Allen. She came to see Miss Ulrika.”

“I should have known!” Edward howled. “Get that little bitch down here immediately!”

“No need, Odo.” Ulrika grunted as she descended the staircase. “The little bitch is already here.”

“Who is this Barbara Allen?” Edward growled.

“She’s my former maid.” Ulrika smiled. “Why do you ask?”

“She’s taken my child!” Edward spat.

“Ah—you mean her child?” Ulrika laughed.

“What?” Corliss Cage gasped.

“We all know that you bought that boy.” Ulrika grinned. “You don’t think that he was found in a cabbage patch, do you?” She chuckled. “He had to have a mother. Well, that was she.”

Edward’s face turned bright red as he recalled the visit he received from Adrienne and Cecil Halifax several weeks before while they were still in Marionneaux. “Of course.” He panted. “Of course!”

“You’re putting things together, Mr. Cage?” Ulrika said tauntingly.

“Close your mouth, you…” Edward barked.

“Are you sure you want me to?” Ulrika winked. “Really, I could be helpful.”

“How?” Edward asked, fumbling with his coat.

“She’s the fallen sister of the Duke of Fallbridge.” Ulrika replied cheerfully. “And, very much in my way.”

“You have been helpful.” Edward growled. “How surprising.” He headed for the door.

“Edward!” Corliss sobbed. “Where are you going?”

“To fetch our child.” Edward said firmly.

“I’ll come with you,” Ulrika hurried after him.

“No.” Edward grunted. “You’ve been enough help.”

“Really, Mr. Cage, if you think I’m going to miss this, you’re more of an old fool than I thought.” Ulrika cooed.

At that very moment, Adrienne, Cecil, Robert, Charles and Barbara entered the nursery.

Barbara smiled when she saw her son nestled next to Fuller in Julian’s lap. Columbia still sat next to Julian with her head on his arm. The puppet leaned against Julian’s other side and Toby sat in front of them with his four legs outstretched.

“I see you’ve made friends with your nephew, Mr. Punch.” Cecil smiled.

“Comment beau. Je détesterais voir il fin.” Adrienne purred.

“Pourquoi aurait-il à la fin, Adrienne?” Mr. Punch asked, raising an eyebrow.

“That’s what we’ve come to talk with you about, dear Punch,” Robert said gently.

“Go on,” Punch narrowed his eyes.

“We’ve decided to send Barbara and her son back to England. She’ll stay in my flat in London until it’s safe for her to go elsewhere. Adrienne knows a place where she can go in France. She has friends in Dinan to whom she’’ll write. They’ll happily take Barbara and the boy in.”

“No.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“Julian,” Barbara interrupted. “I’ll be quite safe. Charles will go with me.”

“I will, Sir.” Charles nodded.

“No.” Mr. Punch repeated.

“It’s already decided, Punch.” Cecil said.

“I can’t let that happen.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “Do you think I’m gonna let this baby stay with the woman what put him in a sack and sold him?”

“I’m his mother!” Barbara yelped.

“Now that it suits you!” Mr. Punch answered sharply. “But, what ‘bout when you grow weary of it? What ‘bout when you find somethin’ what interests you more?”

“He’s mine.” Barbara hissed.

“He ain’t!” Mr. Punch replied. “He’s my heir. He’s mine. Mine and Robert’s.” Punch looked to Charles. “You’re goin’ to England, Carlo. And, Barbara can go, too. But, we’re goin’ with our child. I’m not gonna let anything happen to him!”

They were interrupted by pounding on the front door. Even from the nursery, they could hear the shouting from outside.

“I’ll get it.” Meridian stood up from the rocking chair where she’d been sitting.

“No, Girl.” Marjani shook her head.

“Marjani’s correct.” Cecil said excitedly. “Let me deal with this.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-198? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, March 21, 2011 for Chapter 200 of Punch’s Cousin as well as a special recap of the first two hundred chapters.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Really gripping end of a very active week! I mean, literally gripping onto the chair arm with anxiety. See you Monday!!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood! More to come!