Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 214

Arthur drew back his fist and thrust it forward into the face of the guard one more time. He laughed as the man moaned and hit the ground with a dusty thud.


“Go on,” Arthur grunted at Gerard.

“Blimey, I think you killed him.” Gerard muttered.

“What if I did? It’s no less than he’d have done to us.” Arthur answered. “Now, tie him up, you good-for-nothing.”

“I’m doin’ it,” Gerard spat.

“Quiet.” Arthur hissed.

“Now we gone and done this, how we gonna get off the ship?” Gerard asked.

“You leave that to me.”

“I hope you know what you’re doin’.” Gerard sighed as he wound the rope around the guard’s limp hands.

“Don’t you worry ‘bout that, Gerry.” Arthur smiled. “Nothin’s gonna keep me from gettin’ back to my wife and, ‘specially to her lunatic brother. He and I got some things to settle.”

“And, you ain’t foolin’ me?” Gerard asked. “This bloke is really the Duke of Fallbridge?”

“Sure he is.” Arthur said. “What’s more he’s gonna be my invitation to the life I deserve.”

“My invitation, too, Artie.” Gerard added.

“Sure, sure. And, then, boy, I’m gonna make sure all them women what treated me like I was some kind of toy will get what’s comin’ to them.” Arthur laughed.

Meanwhile, across the ocean in a New Orleans hotel, Mr. Punch began to shout as Iolanthe and Ulrika again walked toward the bed where Robert and little Colin slept.

“You stay away from them, you witches!” Mr. Punch screamed.

Robert sputtered awake and the child began to cry.

“Quiet that baby!” Iolanthe hissed.

“What’s going on here?” Robert sat up.

Mr. Punch took the baby in his arms. “Help me, Chum.”

“You two have got to leave.” Robert said.

“We have no intention of leaving, really.” Ulrika smiled. “Not without what we came for.”

“Let me hit ‘em with somethin’, Chum.” Mr. Punch pleaded. “Two good blows and they’ll be gone forever. That’s the way to do it.”

“That isn’t the way to do it,” Robert said gently to his friend. He cleared his throat and rose from the bed. “Mr. Punch, take the child from the room.”

“Isn’t it sweet, really?” Ulrika laughed. “I just adore how you call him ‘Mr. Punch.’ Such an affectionate name.”

“That’s me name,” Punch grunted. “Affectionate or otherwise.”

“Take the baby, Punch.” Robert repeated.

“No.” Iolanthe shook her head definitely. “He goes nowhere.”

“It’s not for you to say.” Robert said.

“It is. That little morsel of flesh has already been paid for. Edward Cage paid good money for a child and a child he shall have.” Iolanthe said firmly.

“You’ll have to kill me first.” Robert said.

“That could be arranged. I don’t want you thinkin’ that it can’t. I’ve silenced bigger men than you, Doctor.” Iolanthe laughed.

Ulrika clapped her hands together and squealed. “Oh, I do love this sort of thing.”

“Shut up, Ulrika!” Iolanthe growled.

Ulrika laughed. “You shan’t silence my joy.”

“I can silence both of ‘em.” Punch pleaded. “I can do it. Two good smacks on the head and they’ll be as quiet as dust.”

“It won’t be necessary.” Robert said.

“Don’t know ‘bout that.” Punch mumbled.

“I will agree with your companion on that account, at least.” Iolanthe smiled. “Maybe I don’t have to be your enemy.”

“Coo!” Mr. Punch grunted. “You can’t be nothin’ but. You killed me master’s mum, you did. And you killed our chum, too. Don’t think that makes us friendly. And, now, you’re here to take our baby ‘way.”

“Am I?” Iolanthe winked.

“Aren’t you?” Ulrika frowned. “Isn’t that what we’re about?”

“Not necessarily, Ginger.” Iolanthe smirked. “We’re here to make sure that Edward Cage gets what he paid for. He paid for a child. Now, I can give him a child, but that’s gonna be an expensive proposition. And, I find myself in a position of not being flush with extra funds. But, the Duke—mad as he is—has lots of funds at his disposal. Maybe we can work somethin’ out. Maybe we can find a way to give everyone what they want. Edward, his child. And these two imbeciles, theirs—and their chance to get the silence they so desire from both of us.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-213? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: