Monday, April 18, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 224

I’m glad to see that you’ll cooperate.” Iolanthe smiled. “And, though it pains me to say it, I’m grateful. I don’t want you thinkin’ I’m not.”


“I make no promises, Miss Evangeline.” Robert replied honestly. “I can make no promises. I don’t know what your son’s ailment is, so I cannot say with any certainty that he can be cured.”

“There’s power in our thoughts, Doctor.” Iolanthe scowled. “We must think that he can be saved, and, then, he shall be.”

“You love your son.” Mr. Punch whispered.

“Of course I do!” Iolanthe spat. “He’s the only soul that I do love.”

“Even you got some love in ya.” Mr. Punch nodded. “So you can understand that we love this baby and we want for him to have a good life.”

“I can’t concern myself with what you feel and who you love.” Iolanthe said. “All I care about is my boy. Everything I do, I do for him.”

“Both a blessing and a curse, that is. Isn’t it?” Mr. Punch shrugged.

Iolanthe frowned.

Mr. Punch looked to Ulrika. “Even ‘The Elegant Ogress’ has got love in her. What ‘bout you, Ginger?”

“I’m nothing but love, really.” Ulrika purred. “I love pleasure.”

“Ain’t the same thing.” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“You’re hardly one to judge.” Ulrika snapped.

Mr. Punch shrugged again. “Here, Iolanthe, where’s your boy?”

“Not far from here.” Iolanthe Evangeline answered. “I can fetch him.”

“Can you characterize what’s his trouble is?” Robert asked.

“He’s slow.” Iolanthe answered quietly. “Simple. Even for a child. He don’t react the way other babies do. I don’t think he hears none too well. He doesn’t make noises like other babies do. Just stares and drools. Can’t get his attention. And, his eyes…those mounds around his eyes. He…he’s just not right.”

“If I understand what you’re describing correctly,” Robert nodded, “I must confess that there’s no way to combat it.”

“You don’t know that!” Iolanthe said.

“This is tiresome,” Ulrika grumbled. “Let’s do go and get the boy. Besides, that will give His Grace a chance to gather up the funds that I require.”

“That will take some time,” Robert said. “His Grace doesn’t keep that much money at hand.”

“I’m sure you’ll find a way.” Ulrika grinned.

“Come, Ulrika.” Iolanthe said. “We’ll return in less than half an hour.”

With that, Iolanthe stormed to the door and opened it quickly—startling Marjani who was just about to knock.

“Oh!” Marjani gasped.

“Look at that,” Iolanthe smirked. “Your girl’s here.”

Marjani stepped aside so that Iolanthe and Ulrika could pass. Once they were out in the passage, Marjani hurried into the room and shut the door behind her.

“I’m terrible sorry, gentlemen. I know I’m powerful late. I got delayed.”

“Are you all right?” Robert asked.

“I think so.” Marjani sighed. “I woke up to find Marie Laveau in my room. I tried to get her out and come to you as quick as I could. I see I was too late.”

“Marie?” Mr. Punch said, his eyes wide and wild. “What’d she want?”

“Revenge,” Marjani answered, taking a deep breath. “So, nothing new.”

“She didn’t hurt you?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Not yet.” Marjani shook her head. “But, we got to hurry and get this underway. Gentlemen, Missus Adrienne and Mr. Cecil are on their way. She’s got her costume on and is ready for this to happen.”

“Iolanthe is on her way back with her son. Part of keeping her silence requires that I ‘cure’ her son.” Robert said nervously.

“Oh, I seen that boy. There ain’t no curin’ him.” Marjani frowned.

“I’m sure of that.” Robert nodded.

“It’s terrible sad.” Marjani clasped her hands together. “And, forgive me for sayin’ it, but that could work in our favor.”

“How?” Robert asked.

“Cuz when that witch sees you can’t fix her son, she’ll fly into a rage—one that all the folk in this hotel will hear, I’d guess.” Mr. Punch smiled. “That’ll make our plan all the more realistic.”

“I can only hope so, dear Punch.” Robert bit his lip. “I can only hope so.”

Meanwhile, as Iolanthe rushed through the hotel lobby, she was surprised to see—on the other side of the archway to the dining room—a woman who looked curiously like her in the company of Cecil Halifax.

Iolanthe grabbed Ulrika’s arm and ducked into a nearby vestibule.

“What are you doing?” Ulrika hissed. “Don’t handle me that way!”

“Look!” Iolanthe pointed at Adrienne and Cecil. “They’re at it again. Don’t you see, Ulrika? We’re being set up.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-223? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Great start for what I'm sure will be an exciting all be it a short week!

Book Gurl said...

Another exciting development!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy. The short week just means that we'll have to fit more action in each day.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that, Book Gurl.