Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 225

Iolanthe growled angrily and clasped her hands together. “Look at her! Mimicking me again! Wasn’t it bad enough that she betrayed me by leaving our comfortable home? Now, she’s mocked me not once, but twice!”


“Comfortable home?” Ulrika laughed. “Is that what you’re calling your brothel these days?”

“Listen you,” Iolanthe snapped. “My girls don’t do a thing that you don’t. The only difference is they get paid for it.”

“That’s why my passions are a hobby and not a vocation.” Ulrika rolled her eyes.

“It doesn’t make you any less of a…” Iolanthe began, but stopped as Adrienne and Cecil walked toward the vestibule where she and Ulrika were hiding.

Ulrika yelped as Iolanthe grabbed her by the arm and dragged her into the hotel’s vaulted lobby.

Adrienne gasped upon seeing Iolanthe.

“You do right to be alarmed,” Iolanthe scowled. “There’s nothing that happens in this city that I don’t know about, and I don’t want you thinkin’ that there is.”

“This isn’t what it looks like.” Adrienne stammered.

“Isn’t it?” Iolanthe hissed. “Your costume suggests that you’re about to make a fool of me again. No one makes a fool of Iolanthe Evangeline! Especially not twice.”

“No one is going to make a fool of you, Miss Evangeline.” Cecil said calmly.

“Oh?” Ulrika laughed. “Really? Then why is your round-heeled bride in the guise of Miss Iolanthe?”

“We have a good reason.” Adrienne answered trying not to fuss with her itchy, dark wig.

“I’m waiting,” Iolanthe grumbled.

“Mr. Cage has ordered a new figure for the waxworks. He wants to do an exhibition of famous—and notorious—residents of New Orleans. He asked specifically for a figure of you. I’ve dressed my wife in this manner so that she might model for the figure. I’ve taken a room here to use as my studio and she and I were just about to retire to that room so that I might begin sketches.

“Shall I list all of the things that are wrong about what you’ve just said?” Iolanthe asked.

“Do as you wish, Iolanthe,” Adrienne sighed.

“When you have a spacious home of your own, why would you need to come to a hotelto sketch your own wife?”

“With the children in the house, and the servants, we thought it might be upsetting for them to see Adrienne dressed as such a horrifying creature.” Cecil answered coolly.

“Hmph.” Iolanthe sniffed. “So, you’re working for Edward Cage?”

“Yes.” Cecil nodded.

“Funny, I thought he dismissed you at the ball.” Iolanthe grinned. “And, even if he hadn’t, I suspect he has more pressing things on his mind than worrying about exhibits at the waxworks.”

“Mr. Cage and I have reached an agreement—privately. Though you feel otherwise,” Cecil lied, “you’re not aware of everything which transpires in New Orleans.”

“Shall I ask him?” Iolanthe purred.

“Go ahead. Go right now, if you like.” Cecil shrugged, being careful not to show his rising nervousness.

“Would you like to go with me?” Iolanthe asked.

“I don’t wish to be delayed in my work.” Cecil shook his head. “Regardless, Iolanthe, I don’t feel that I need to be influenced by you. I’ve grown weary of seeing everyone bend to your will. You don’t have absolute power here, you know. When all is said and done, you’re nothing but a madam. That hardly makes you a senior statesmen, and certainly it doesn’t put you in the position of being any sort of authority which must be obeyed.”

“You are a fool,” Iolanthe smirked. “You’re not worth my time. You see, Mr. Halfax, I have more important things to occupy me. I’m sure you’ll understand when I return.”

“Oh?” Adrienne asked.

“You’ll see when I return to your brother’s room.” Iolanthe smiled at Cecil.

“My brother?” Cecil asked innocently.

“We both know you’re on your way up there.” Iolanthe chuckled.

“Is my brother here? I’ve not heard from him in days.”

“Isn’t it sweet when simpletons try to lie?” Ulrika grinned.

“Come, Ulrika,” Iolanthe grabbed the woman’s arm again.

Ulrika frowned. “Must you keep pawing at me? Really, I don’t understand why men pay you for the privilege of feeling your gloved claws on their flesh.”

“Shut up,” Iolanthe barked.

“As you wish, Iolanthe.” Ulrika laughed.

“Do give our best to Dr. Halifax and the lunatic Duke.” Iolanthe chirped. “Tell them we’ll be back very soon.”

With that, Iolanthe hurried off, dragging Ulrika by her elbow.

“Cecil,” Adrienne said urgently. “She didn’t believe us.”

“Of course she didn’t.” Cecil sighed.

“What will we do?” Adrienne asked.

“We’ll proceed.” Cecil nodded. “Now, let’s get out of this public place before anyone else notices us.”

They rushed up to Punch and Robert’s room and hurried in when Marjani opened the door.

“What’s happened?” Mr. Punch asked as he studied their breathless faces.

“Iolanthe and Ulrika saw us in the lobby.” Adrienne panted.

“Oh, I done worried ‘bout that.” Marjani groaned.

“We’ve got to begin, now…” Cecil began.

“Now?” Robert asked nervously. “They’ve gone to get Iolanthe’ son. She’ll be back any minute.”

“Then, we must hurry.” Cecil argued.

“That’s the way to do it!” Mr. Punch nodded.

“Adrienne, go on.” Cecil said softly to his wife.

“Are you sure?” Adrienne asked.

“Yes.” Cecil nodded firmly.

Adrienne cleared her throat and stepped into the center of the room. At the top of her voice—as loud as she could—she mimicked Iolanthe.

“No one tries to trick Iolanthe Evangeline!” Adrienne shouted so loud that she surely was heard all the way into the hotel’s lobby. “And, I don’t want you thinkin’ that they do!”

Robert looked at Cecil who nodded.

“Marjani,” Robert whispered.

Marjani picked up the baby and hurried out of the room and down the corridor to the extra room that Robert had booked.

As Marjani left, Mr. Punch picked up a glass and hurled it at the wall where it shattered loudly.

“I’ll kill ya!” Adrienne shouted, parroting Iolanthe’s voice. “I’ll kill ya all now!”


Did you miss Chapters 1-224? If so, you can read them here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is always so exciting.......