Thursday, May 26, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 254

Arthur approached the door cautiously and pressed his ear against it, listening to see if whoever had knocked was still there. He heard heavy breathing on the other side of the door.


“Artie,” A voice whispered.

Arthur quickly opened the door and grabbed Gerard’s arm, pulling the man into the room.

“How’d you get in here?” Arthur rasped.

“I came in through the kitchen.” Gerard whispered.

“Idiot!” Arthur spat. “Did anyone see you?”

“’Course not, Artie,” Gerard smiled. “I ain’t so stupid.”

“I wonder,” Arthur smirked.

“Say, what’s with her?” Gerard pointed to Ulrika who had once again curled up in a ball on the floor.

“She’s resting,” Arthur grumbled.

“Did ya give her the stuff what I stole for ya?”

“I did.” Arthur nodded.

“Is it working?”

“Well, what do you think?” Arthur scowled. “She’s on the floor, isn’t she?”

“Does that mean it’s workin’?” Gerard tilted his head to one side. “Seems to me she ain’t gonna be much help to ya if she’s coiled around herself like a baby.”

“What are you like?” Arthur growled. “Of course it’s working! She’ll be on her feet in no time.”

“Dunno.” Gerard shrugged. “I kind of fancy her on the ground like that.”

“Shut yer gob.” Arthur sighed.

“She give ya the diamond?”

“Not yet.” Arthur answered.

“Well, why not?” Gerard whined. “Listen, mate, we gotta get outta here. This place is crawlin’ with folks. Somebody’s gonna come up here and find ya.”

“Not if you keep quiet.” Arthur responded. “Now, help me get her up. Come on.”

Gerard shrugged and walked over to Ulrika, trying to life her up by her armpits. “You could help me, ya know.”

“Fine.” Arthur took one of Ulrika’s arms and helped Gerard carry her to the bed.

Arthur patted Ulrika’s face. “Now, come on, Pet. Tell us, where’s the diamond?”

“Chiffarobe.” Ulrika murmured, almost inaudibly.

“I already looked in the bleedin’ chiffarobe.” Arthur growled.

“Top.” Ulrika grunted.

Arthur turned around and studied the tall piece of furniture. At the top of the chiffarobe, an ornate cornice rose almost to the ceiling.

“Here,” Arthur gestured to Gerard. “Move a chair over there. I think we’re finally gonna get what we want.”

Meanwhile at the small apartment above the Routhe’s dress shop, Robert tried to wipe the blood from his hands.

“I’m so sorry, Charles,” Robert sighed as Charles handed him a towel.

“Couldn’t be helped, Sir.” Charles answered kindly. “Don’t worry any more about it.”

“I may have killed a man—your brother.” Robert replied emotionally.

“Giovanni’s got a way of surviving things.” Charles said. “He’s Marie Laveau’s problem now. Let’s not think about it until we’ve got to.”

“I broke my oath.” Robert answered.

“Sir, we’ve got other matter which are more pressing.” Charles said.

“Of course,” Robert nodded, taking a deep breath. “What did the message from Cecil and Mr. Punch say?”

“That they’re well and that they’ll find a way to come to us as soon as possible.” Charles responded.

“They ain’t well,” Marjani said, interrupting the two men.

“Pardon?” Robert asked.

“I got a feelin’.” Marjani shook her head. “Somethin’ ain’t right. I feel like there’s some kind of power that’s causin’ great pain. I fear for His Grace.”

Robert looked helplessly at Marjani.

“What should I do?” He asked.

“I think ya gotta get back there as quick as you can.” Marjani responded.

Did you miss Chapters 1-253? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: