Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 257

Julian’s body tumbled down the stairs as Mr. Scaramouche continued to bellow.


“Julian!” Barbara gasped, rushing toward the figure of her brother. Scaramouche snarled at her and she stepped back.

“I am not Julian!” Scaramouche growled as he dragged himself off of the bottom step and onto the floor of the foyer. “Stay away from me, Barbara Allen! If you think you can repay me what I’m owed by showing me some false kindness, you’re sorely…” he groaned as he gripped Julian’s head again, “…mistaken.”

“What’s happening to him?” Barbara asked Cecil.

“I’m not sure,” Cecil replied rigidly, unsure as to what to do.

“I’ll tell you,” Scaramouche spat, “Your timid brother and that scoundrel, Mr. Punch, are trying to overtake me from within. Fools! Now that I’m free, they’ll never stuff me back into that horrible little place again—that place where I grew and boiled and sweated.”

A clattering sound and voices in the back hallway startled both Barbara and Cecil. As Cecil walked toward the door to the back passage, and whooped when he saw his brother and Marjani emerge.

“How ever did you get past Edward Cage?” Cecil rushed forward, embracing Robert.

“It wasn’t easy.” Robert laughed. “Marjani is quite clever.”

Marjani clucked her tongue. “No more so than anyone else, Sir.” She smiled. “I done crept into places unnoticed many times when I was nursin’ sick folk. Some of them plantation owners in Marionneaux didn’t want their slaves to get nursed. Couldn’t just let ‘em suffer, so I learned how to make myself real small.”

“Thank you,” Cecil smiled.

“Doctor, do hurry,” Barbara urged, pointing to the spot where Julian’s body writhed on the floor.

“Dear God!” Robert gasped. “What’s happened? Mr. Punch!”

“He’s not Punch,” Cecil said quickly.

“Julian?” Robert hurried to the man’s side.

“He’s not Julian either,” Cecil added, following his brother.

“Whatever do you mean?” Robert frowned. “He must be one or the other.”

“No.” Barbara interrupted.

“Are you telling me that there’s a third—a third entity inside of him?” Robert asked.

“If not more.” Cecil sighed.

“I’m Scaramouche, Doctor!” Julian’s face groaned. “Only to you I’m ‘Mr. Scaramouche.’ I don’t want your quackery. Leave me! If you want to help, find me pretty things and put them in my satchel! Leave me to this battle for it does not concern you!”

Robert sighed heavily and looked with wet eyes at Marjani who frowned sympathetically.

“You were correct,” Robert whispered.

“I didn’t want to be,” Marjani said.

Meanwhile, within their shared body, Mr. Punch hollered loudly.

“Master!” Punch shouted. “Our chums are here!”

“I know,” Julian said calmly.

“Robert!” Punch screamed, hoping his enthusiasm would make their body’s mouth move. “Chum! We’re in here! We been tryin’ to overpower him, but he’s strong, this Scaramouche! He’s a man of anger, and ain’t nothin’ stronger than anger! Find us! Please!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-256? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Gene said...

Thank goodness Robert is finally there. Cecil doesn't know what to do and I don't trust Barbara.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I agree, but this may be too much even for Robert. Thanks for eading, Gene!

Darcy said...

I sure hope Julian's calm and Mr. Punch's fighting spirit are enough to overpower the boastful angry Scaramouche.

Joseph Crisalli said...

"Boastful" is an excellent description for Scaramouche. Thanks for coming by, Darcy!