Thursday, June 9, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 265

Arthur?” Robert bellowed, rising to his feet. “He’s been shipped out to sea! It can’t be he!”


Meridian looked startled, unaware that Cecil had not yet explained to Robert that Arthur was back.

“Meridian,” Cecil said quickly, “Show Mr….” He paused and looked at Robert. “Does the man have a surname?”

“I don’t know.” Robert snapped. “Do murderous footmen have surnames?”

“Please show Arthur and his companion to the drawing room. We’ll be in shortly.” Cecil concluded.

“To the drawing room?” Robert’s eyes widened. “Why not just take him to my Julian’s bedroom and empty out his jewel case for the man? Or maybe we can give him the key to the knife cellar!”

“Go on, Meridian,” Cecil nodded. “I need to talk with Dr. Halifax.”

Meridian answered, “Sure thing” and shut the door behind her as she exited. “She muttered to herself as she walked to fetch Arthur and Gerard. “I’ll say this, it’s a lot more excitin’ ‘round here than when Dr. Biamenti was home. But, land sakes, I wouldn’t mind if we had a few less wicked folk trottin’ in and out of this house.” She forced herself to smile as she opened the door for Arthur.

“Mr. Halifax says you’re to wait in the drawing room,” Meridian said stiffly.

“Thank you so much,” Arthur smirked as he brushed past the woman. “I know where it is.”

Meanwhile, in the back parlor, Robert fumed. “You knew about this? You knew this man had returned?”

“Yes,” Cecil said. “I’ve not had a chance to tell you yet with Julian being…different again. I…”

“How long as he been back?”

“That I don’t know.” Cecil shrugged. “Long enough to find himself a new set of clothes and some man that he calls his servant. He came here earlier and spoke with me and with Mr. Punch.”

“Why would he come here? Was he looking for Barbara? Who, may I add, I’m disappointed to learn is also here.”

“Arthur was, I think, looking for any possible opportunity he could find to better himself. And, so, we gave him one—one that would benefit all of us.”

“What, exactly, was that?” Robert sighed with irritation.

“We asked him to obtain the blue diamond from Ulrika Rittenhouse.” Cecil said softly.

“You what?” Robert growled. “You’d trust him for such a…”

Robert was interrupted as Arthur and Gerard entered the room.

“You were told to wait in the Drawing Room.” Robert snapped.

“Didn’t feel like waitin’.” Arthur winked. “Not with this burnin’ a hole in me pocket.” He held the diamond aloft. “It’s heavy. Makin’ me tired.”

“I say,” Robert narrowed his eyes.

“Well, then,” Arthur grinned. “Doctor, you look surprised. Didn’t you think I’d carry out my assignment?”

“I’ve only just learned of your assignment. However, no, I didn’t think you’d do it.”

“And, is Ulrika Rittenhouse still living?” Cecil asked.

“Sure, she is.” Arthur laughed.

“Almost didn’t…” Gerard began.

“Shut it!” Arthur snapped.

“Sorry, Artie,” Gerard frowned.

“Listen, it don’t matter how we got it, just that we got it.” Arthur muttered.

“Well, then, hand it over.” Robert said.

“I’ll make arrangements to compensate you.” Cecil walked forward.

“No, Sir,” Arthur shook his head slowly. “I’m afraid my terms have changed a bit.”

At that very moment, Ulrika sat up and sputtered, looking around her room and coughing.

“Ah,” Iolanthe smiled from a dark corner. “I see you’re coming back to us.”

“What?” Ulrika coughed. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve been watching you—making plans, trying to decide what to do with you. I wanted to see what chances nature would give me.” Iolanthe walked into the light.

“Nature.” Ulrika croaked. “There’s nothing natural about any of this.”

“You’ve been given some sort of potion by Arthur,” Iolanthe smiled. “My dear, you do trust the wrong men.”

“I trust no one.” Ulrika tired to get off of the bed, but found herself too weak.

“Yet, you led him right to the diamond.” Iolanthe shook her head.

“Even under the influence of that potion,” Ulrika grinned weakly, “I’m no fool, Iolanthe.”

“Then, why is that Arthur and his hired idiot walked out of here with that stone?”

“They didn’t.” Ulrika coughed. “They left with the fake.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-264?  If so, you can read them here.

No comments: