Thursday, June 16, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 271

Nellie pulled back her lips into a grimace which only served to crinkle the ragged edges of her scars.


Adrienne shuddered.

“You look surprised, Adrienne.” Nellie boasted. “Have you forgotten about your old friend, Nellie?”

Adrienne gulped.

“It seems you have.” Nellie frowned. “It’s not been so terribly long since you’ve seen me. It’s only been since the change of the year. Don’t you recall when Iolanthe ruined my face and carried me off from the ball?”

“I do.” Adrienne nodded.

“I thought that I’d be stuck in that house forever again. That changed when Iolanthe was arrested. I had my chance to escape again. For that, I suppose I can thank you. But, I won’t. I went slightly mad, you see. Do you know what it’s like to have nowhere to go?”

“I do.” Adrienne whispered.

“Do you?” Nellie snapped.

The two men shifted uncomfortably, fiddling with their masks. “Patience, men. I have much to say to this woman!” Nellie snarled.

“Adrienne, you have always had somewhere to go. You had the love of your Englishman. You had strong arms to rescue you. I had no such thing. No such thing.”

“Where did you go?” Adrienne asked.

“Out of the frying pan,” Nellie grinned, her face pinching. “Into the fire.”

“What do you want with His Grace’s child?” Adrienne asked.

“His Grace’s sister’s child who was promised to another.” Nellie corrected her.

“What business is any of this of yours? For whom do you work?”

“Ask nothing more.” Nellie spat. “Just give the boy to me and I shall ensure that your beauty is not slashed as mine has been!”

Meanwhile, into the mist, Mr. Punch and Robert followed Marjani.

“Are you quite certain about this?” Robert asked.

“I am, Sir.” Marjani nodded. “You know I love you gentleman like you’re my own kin. I’d not put you in harm’s way.”

“I’m sorry, Marjani.” Robert said, glancing over his shoulder at their house which grew smaller in the distance. He could still see the figure of his brother—through the fog—watching through the window. “I don’t mean to sound ungrateful or distrustful.”

“I understand.” Marjani nodded.

“Cecil’ll be all right.” Punch whispered to Robert. “You know he had to stay with Fuller and we still got Gamilla what’s doin’ poorly.”

“I know.” Robert said.

Marjani paused and extended her arm so that Punch and Robert would not pass her.

“What is it?” Punch asked.

“Look ahead. Orange and violet.”

Punch sniffed the air. “Damn!”

“Come with me gentlemen. We’ll take care of them two women once and for all!” Marjani said sharply.



Did you miss Chapters 1-270? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: