Saturday, June 25, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 279

Ulrika Rittenhouse ran her fingers through her long, loose, ginger hair. She felt quite decadent and wild, being out in public with her hair down and her head uncovered. As the effects of the drug that Arthur had given her began to wear off, she began to feel exhilarated and she purred as the smooth skin of her face and wide, masculine neck began to tingle with the cool dampness of the foggy evening.


“Quit your noise,” Iolanthe grumbled as they walked together.

“It’s just too delicious, really,” Ulrika sighed. “My body feels alive as if I’ve just plunged into an icy lake.”

“You’re an odd woman,” Iolanthe shook her head.

“At least I’ve never killed anyone.” Ulrika sniffed.

“You’d do well to keep quiet.” Iolanthe barked.

“If you want me to be still, Iolanthe, really, why did you ask me to come with you?” Ulrika grinned.

“I regret it deeply.” Iolanthe muttered.

“I can’t say I’ve ever been in this part of the Quarter,” Ulrika continued.

“It ain’t for the likes of you,” Iolanthe replied. “It’s really all just too exciting! Think of it, any moment, a vicious man could jump out onto the banquette and overpower us.”

“Since you’re broader than most men, I don’t fear for my safety and I don’t want you thinkin’ that I do.”

“You are too cross,” Ulrika shrugged. “What’s troubling you? Is it that you’ve been in prison? Is it that your son is still at Edward Cage’s house? Is it because you’re failing miserably? Or is it that you’ve jumped at a message from Marie Laveau like you’re her servant?”

“I am no one’s servant!” Iolanthe spun around and spat fiercely. “I answer to no one! I’ve only responded to Marie’s note because I’m curious as to what she has to offer me!”

“Certainly, you are.” Ulrika nodded. “So, what wicked business do you think the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is about now? She’s certainly not fond of you. What could she want with you now?”

“I don’t know, Ginger,” Iolanthe snapped. “That’s why we’re goin’!”

“I do hope her home is near,” Ulrika took a deep breath. “My legs are growing weary.”

“You are annoying, aren’t you?” Iolanthe hissed.

“Some people find it alluring.” Ulrika winked.

“I’m not among them.” Iolanthe grumbled. ‘Marie’s house is just over there.” Iolanthe pointed.

As they approached the door, they heard the sounds of a baby crying.

Iolanthe’s eyes widened. “She couldn’t have!”

“Oh,” Ulrika laughed. “It’s just too glorious. Marie Laveau has succeeded where the great Iolanthe Evangeline has failed!”

Iolanthe drew back her arm and slapped Ulrika across the face.

Ulrika squealed.

Just then, Marie opened the door and grinned at the two women. “Ain’t no use punishin’ the girl for speakin’ the truth, Iolanthe. Now, come on inside and see what I have for you.”

At that very moment, Mr. Punch stood strangely still in the center of the tiny apartment above the Routhe’s dress shop.

Adrienne, Robert and Mama Routhe watched with increasing fear as Punch seemed frozen in time like one of Edward Cage’s wax effigies. Though his figure seemed still, the many voices within him were quite active.

“Mr. Punch,” Julian said in a voice that only Punch could hear, “You must compose yourself.”

“Take what you can!” Scaramouche squeaked over Julian.

“I…” Punch’s voice responded. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Gather yourself up and carry on!” Julian said firmly.

“Make ‘em suffer!” Scaramouche argued, his voice growing stronger and deeper again.

Adrienne looked desperately at Robert. “We’ve got to do something.”

“I know.” Robert nodded. “But, how can we reach him?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-278? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 280.

No comments: