Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Object of the Day, Museum Edition: An Italian Dulcimer, 1750

Dulcimer
Italian, 1750
The Victoria & Albert Museum
In past months, I’ve shared a couple of the antique musical instruments in my collection, but I have to admit, I have nothing like this. Here’s another object that I call dibs on should the V&A ever have a garage sale.

This is a Dulcimer. A painted masterpiece in magnificent colors, it comes from Italy and dates to around 1750. Italian Dulcimers of this style are referred to as “trapeze-shaped,” and were designed to be played with natural quills which were attached to leather thimble-like rings worn over the tips of the fingers. The curators at the V&A believe that this dulcimer’s case may have come originally from another instrument. The splendidly decorated case is painted with scenes of Apollo and the Muses. This traditional theme was common adornment on harpsichords and other keyboard instruments.

I love everything about this instrument and think it would look quite smashing in my living room.

No comments: