Saturday, July 16, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 296

Mama Routhe looked to Adrienne and Robert with an expression that said, “What should I do?”
Adrienne and Robert exchanged glances.

“Open the door, Mama.” Marjani smiled. “Ain’t nothin’ bad.”

Robert nodded.

Adrienne gasped with glee as Mama Routhe opened the door—rushing forward with a happy squeal and wrapping her arms around her husband, Cecil, who grinned as his wife’s arms encircled him.

Robert exhaled audibly.

“Sorry to intrude,” Cecily joked.

“Oh, thank Heavens,” Adrienne sobbed into her husband’s shoulder. “I’ve missed you so terribly.”

“Hullo, Chum,” Mr. Punch chirped. “We’re all back together, we are.”

Robert turned away from Mr. Punch so the man would not see his wistful expression as he privately thought, “Not all of us. Not Julian.”

“I’m sorry.” Cecil said. “I couldn’t stay away. I was careful to make sure that Edward Cage’s men didn’t spot me. Meridian kindly gave me a route here that kept me out of sight.”

“I’m so glad you’re here.” Robert nodded. “We need you.”

“Is something amiss?” Cecil asked.

“Much.” Adrienne said, still sobbing as she held her husband. “Nellie—she came with two men and took baby Colin.”

“Nellie did?” Cecil exclaimed. “How does this concern her? However did she enlist two men?”

“I ‘spect she’s got a lot o’ men who’d be willin’ to do what she wants.” Punch grumbled. “Only this time, I think it’s because she’s got the influence of someone a mite more powerful.”

“Not Iolanthe?” Cecil groaned.

“No.” Punch answered. “Nellie’d be loathe to do anything for that one. I’m thinkin’ it’s that Marie Laveau.”

“What would Marie want with the child?” Cecil growled.

“Revenge,” Marjani shook her head.

“We’ve got to get him back.” Cecil said firmly, rubbing his wife’s back.

“That’s what we were jus’ talkin’ ‘bout.” Punch nodded.

“Have you got a scheme?” Cecil asked.

“Of sorts,” Robert nodded. “But, this one is considerably less daring than our usual methods.”

“Or is it?” Punch sighed. “In some ways, perhaps, it’s all the more daring.”

“How so?” Cecil asked.

“See, Chum, Mr. Punch is gonna go fetch the Constable.” Punch grinned.

Meanwhile, in Marie Laveau’s cruel little house, Barbara snarled at Ulrika as the red-headed trouble-maker continued to shout for Marie.

“Can’t you just leave us alone?” Barbara hissed.

“Apparently not.” Ulrika shrugged. “Don’t you know by now, Barbara, that the things we want most to go away never really do?”

“Come, Barbara.” Charles said, tugging on the woman’s arm. “Let’s flee before…”

“Too late,” Marie Laveau smiled as she entered the room. She was followed by Iolanthe. In Marie’s arms, she held the child, Colin, who wriggled uncomfortably.

“My son!” Barbara shouted. “What are you doing with my son?”

“He ain’t your son no more, Girl.” Marie smiled.

“He’ll always be my son!” Barbara growled.

“No. He’s mine now. Mine to do with as I please.”

“Marie,” Iolanthe whispered. “We had an arrangement. This child is to be returned to Edward Cage.”

“That was before I got tricked—again!” Marie shouted. “These people need to be taught a lesson. And, the only way to do that is to destroy the one thing they really love!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-295? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, July 18, for Chapter 297 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: