Monday, September 12, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 340

Scaramouche?” Punch mumbled to himself, or, more specifically to Julian. “He ain’t ‘xactly what I’d call a lot of help.”


“Are you certain of that?” Julian responded from within.

“’Sides, didn’t we take away his power?” Punch asked aloud. He realized he didn’t need to actually speak to be heard by Julian.

“We did. But, we can return it as we wish.” Julian responded.

“I don’t see what he can do what I can’t.” Punch muttered.

“Mr. Punch, I wouldn’t suggest this if I didn’t think that the situation was dire,” Julian answered in a voice that only Punch could hear.

Punch turned his head and looked at Barbara who remained slumped over next to him in front of the great fire.

“Here, your sister’s gone barmy, Master.”

“It was inevitable.” Julian sighed. “All the more reason to act quickly.”

“You really think that old pest Scaramouche can get us out of this?” Punch thought.

“I don’t think he could make it any worse.”

“Very well.” Punch grunted. “How we gonna do it?”

“Just relax yourself,” Julian said softly from inside their shared body. “Scaramouche will know what to do.”

Meanwhile, on the other side of the fire, Marjani pressed her hands together.

“I know you don’t trust us,” Iolanthe said.

“And, I don’t blame you, really.” Ulrika added, grinning. “We’re really both quite horrible.”

“But, neither of us can afford to let Marie get too much power.” Iolanthe interrupted, glancing angrily at Ulrika.

“My mama once told me that sometimes the only way to escape Hell is for to give yourself over to the Devil.” Marjani grumbled. “Fine. I’ll join you, but only ‘til this is over.”

“Of course.” Ulrika laughed. “When we’re free of this nightmare, I assure you we’ll return to torturing you.”

“I’m sure you will.” Marjani sighed.

“Brace yourself.” Iolanthe said seriously.

“What for?” Marjani asked, raising her eyebrows.

“This.” Iolanthe replied, raising her hand high above her head and slapping Marjani across the face.

Marjani yelped as Iolanthe’ hand struck her and recoiled as Iolanthe began to scream wildly.

“How delicious,” Ulrika chuckled. “How utterly delicious!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-339? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Oh, this story certainly stays exciting! I'm anxious to see what Scaramouche adds to the mix.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Darcy! I'm not so sure that Mr. Scaraouche will be much help. I think I side with Punch on this. But, perhaps Julian has a plan. We shall see.