Friday, September 30, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 355

Iolanthe Evangeline staggered away from the Place Congo. Her tears met with the sharp winter wind from the River and stung her cheeks. She could feel the waxy makeup that coated her face dripping down her neck as she sobbed. Not daring to look at her hands, she knew that they were ruined. She could feel the blisters rising from the torch that Marie Laveau had thrust onto their smooth flesh.


“Papa,” Iolanthe howled as she walked. “You done got what you wanted. I’m burnin’ in Hell already.”

From her spot near the fire, Ulrika Rittenhouse watched Iolanthe stumble away.

“Giovanni,” Ulrika hissed to Charles’ brother who was seated near the spot where she’d been bound. “Marie’s done something to Iolanthe.”

“What do you care?” Giovanni chuckled. “You loathe the trollop.”

“I know, but…” Ulrika sighed.

“What’s this?” Giovanni smirked. “A moment of sympathy from my little beast?”

“No.” Ulrika coughed. “I…I only… Well, really, I just find it too delicious. But, it makes you wonder what she’ll do to us. Marie, I mean.”

“Not to fret,” Giovanni growled. “I shall protect you.”

“I count on it.” Ulrika winked. She glanced over her shoulder at Charles who, still tied up and bloody, was trying to bring Barbara Allen back to reality.

Barbara continued to babble as if she was still in fine velvet and gems at Fallbridge Hall.

“Your brother is loyal,” Ulrika whispered.

“He’s a fool.” Giovanni spat.

“I suppose.” Ulrika nodded. “But, it is a little touching. Yes?”

“No.” Giovanni growled. “It will be his downfall.”

Meanwhile, at the Royal Street House, Columbia ran down the front staircase, shrieking at the top of her lungs.

“Grandmama!” Grandmama!”

Marjani heard her granddaughter’s cries and turned to see the little girl rush into the parlor where she gasped upon seeing her friend, Mr. Punch/The Duke of Fallbridge sprawled out on the floor.

“Columbia, honey,” Marjani said quickly. “You shouldn’t be in here.”

“Is Mr. Punch sick like mama and papa were? Is he gonna die?” Columbia sobbed.

“No, honey. He just fell down. He’s gonna be just fine.” Marjani replied gently. “He’s just resting.” She lied.

“Did that lady push him, too?” Columbia hiccoughed.

“What lady?” Marjani asked.

“Is something wrong, Columbia?” Adrienne asked, standing up nervously.

“That mean old lady, she done pushed Meridian down and Meridian hit her head. She’s on the floor like Mr. Punch.”

“Miss Rittenhouse?” Adrienne gasped.

“I reckon.” Columbia nodded. “The gray lady.”

“She was in the nursery?” Adrienne shrieked. “Cecil!”

Cecil hurried to the stairs.

“She done took the babies. She said she’d kill me if…”

“Took the babies!” Adrienne screamed, running after her husband. “Cecil! Cecil! My God!”

“I come down as soon as she was gone. I was scared,” Columbia gulped. “Did I do bad?”

“No, honey,” Marjani took her granddaughter in her arms. “No. You done just fine.”

Robert clenched his fists in anger. “I knew letting that woman in this house was a bad idea! Damn it! Will you look after His Grace?” Robert asked as he followed his brother and sister-in-law.

“Course I will.” Marjani nodded.

“And, ring for Gerry!” Robert added over his shoulder.

“I will.” Marjani said.

Alone with her granddaughter, Marjani reached for the bell-pull and, then, took Columbia by the hand.

“Now, Columbia, honey, you come sit by Mr. Punch. Will you do that? Talk to him, honey. He can hear ya.”

“Mr. Punch,” Columbia sniffed. “Are you sleeping?”

Marjani turned away so Columbia couldn’t see her cry. “Tell him we need him.”

“We need ya Mr. Punch.” Columbia said sweetly. “You gotta play with me and Toby and make everyone smile like you do. And, the Duke, too.”

“You understand that Mr. Punch and the Duke are two different people even though the look just alike?” Marjani asked, still not looking at her granddaughter.

“Sure, I do, Grandmama.” Columbia replied. “You done tol’ me that God is God, but he’s also Jesus and the Holy Ghost. Well, ain’t it the same with Mr. Punch? If God can be three people, so can our friend.”

“That’s right, Child.” Marjani nodded with pride. “That’s right.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-354? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: