Saturday, October 8, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 362

Shouldn’t we first talk with Mr. Cage?” Robert frowned as Odo ushered him and Marjani up the rear staircase of the Cage’s Royal Street house.


“No need.” Odo shook his head quickly. “Ya gotta go see Mrs. Cage. She ain’t got much time.”

“She’ll keep.” Marjani scowled.

“There’s something very suspicious about all of this.” Robert growled. “The only reason we came with you is that you claimed to know where the Duke’s nephew is. Take us to him immediately!”

“That wasn’t the deal. The deal was that you’d doctor Mrs. Cage, then, after that, I’d tell ya what I know about the boy.” Odo lied.

“We had no ‘deal.’” Robert spat. “Take me to the boy!”

“I can’t.” Odo hissed. “And, keep your voice down, Sir, please.”

“If you can’t take me to him, then, at least tell me where he is!” Robert bellowed.

“Quiet, please, Sir.” Odo hissed again. “I’ll tell ya where the boy is as soon as you look at Mrs. Cage.”

“You don’t really know, do you?” Marjani asked. “You just lied to get us here. You’re a liar, Odo. You always were.”

“I ain’t no such thing!” Odo growled. “The boy’s here! He’s in this house!”

“I knew it.” Robert grunted.

“Wait!” Odo exclaimed, panicking. “I…” He quickly realized what he’d done. In his effort to placate Mr. Cage by bringing the doctor and Marjani, he did the one thing he’d been asked not to do. Odo realized he’d have to act quickly or Mr. Cage would kill him one way or another.

“Please,” Odo said quickly. “Mrs. Cage is a fine woman. Even if you hate me and Mr. Cage and all the rest of ‘em, Mrs. Cage is a good person. She don’t deserve to suffer.”

“Suddenly you care about your mistress?” Robert narrowed his eyes.

“It’s his own pelt he’s worried ‘bout.” Marjani shook her head.

“You gotta help her. Then, I’ll take you to the boy’s room.” Odo said. “I swear I’ll take you.”

“Very well,” Robert drew in a deep breath. “Take us to Mrs. Cage.”

“Her door is the first one at the top o’ the stairs.” Odo pointed. “Jus’ go on in. I’ll let Mr. Cage know you’re here.”

Robert shook his head in disgust. “Fine.” With that, he and Marjani found their way to Corliss Cage’s bedroom.

Once they’d gone inside, Odo spasmed in fright. “I said I’d take you to the boy’s room, but I didn’t say he’d be in there.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-361? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, October 10, 2011 for Chapter 363 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: