Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 364

Agnes Rittenhouse was ripped out of her gleeful sleep upon hearing the frantic knocks on her hotel room door.


“Who is it?” She cried as she bolted upright in bed.

“Odo.” A man hissed through the door.

“What’s an Odo?” Agnes groaned as she threw her legs over the side of the bed and walked stiffly toward the door.

“From Mr. Cage’s.” Odo whispered. He began to bang on the door again.

“Quiet!” She growled, opening the door. “There’s a sleeping baby in here.” A look of confusion grew like mold on her face as she peered at Odo who stood before her—trembling with the Duke’s nephew in his arms.

“What’s this?” Agnes narrowed her eyes.

“You gotta take him.” Odo pleaded.

“Why?” Agnes spat. “I just left him with Mr. Cage and was paid handsomely for it.”

“I don’t mean take him forever. Just for a spell. I’ll come back and get him.”

“I don’t want him. I’m glad to be rid of the little piggy.” Agnes sniffed.

“Come on, lady.” Odo groveled. “Just take him for an hour.”

“Explain yourself.”

“Can I come in?” Odo asked.

“Not until you explain yourself.” Agnes snapped.

“Listen, lady. That doctor man and his nurse are at Mr. Cage’s house. I can’t let them go and see this baby. They’ll take him back and, then, Mr. Cage will kill me. You don’t want this boy goin’ back to the Duke now do ya?”

“I can’t say as I do.” Agnes shrugged. “But, really, I can’t be bothered with this.”

“Now, you’re a nanny, ain’t ya?” Odo grunted, becoming impatient. “Can’t you look after him?”

“I don’t just lend my services to anyone who asks.” Agnes frowned. “I must be paid.”

“You’re already watchin’ one baby. What’s one more for just an hour?” Odo begged.

“I must be paid.” Agnes repeated.

“I don’t got nothin’ to pay ya with.” Odo said desperately.

“Why am I not surprised?” Agnes laughed.

“But, I know where I can get somethin’!” Odo added, his eyes brightening. “Miss Ulrika’s got somethin’ in her room you might want. You’re her cousin, ain’t ya?”

“I am.” Agnes scowled. “Though she’s loathe to admit it.”

“Well, then, it’s only fittin’ you should have that thing I seen in there.”

“Do tell.”

“It’s a rock. A big blue rock—shinin’ like the moon or the sun.”

“The blue diamond?” Agnes raised her eyebrows. “The Duke’s blue diamond?”

“Maybe.” Odo grinned.

“I don’t believe you.” Agnes shook her head.

“Why not?” Odo whined. “Look, you watch this baby for an hour and I’ll get that rock for ya.”

Agnes fluttered her eyes and thought for a moment.

“You know I can do it,” Odo added.

“Very well,” Agnes grinned. “Leave me the child and go fetch the diamond for me. If you come back without it, however, I’ll make sure that you never bring this child back to your master.”

“Thank you, Miss.” Odo handed the baby to Agnes. “I won’t let ya down.”

“I hope not,” Agnes laughed, taking the child. “For the sake of this piggy.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-363? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: