Saturday, October 15, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 368

Where are the two of you going?” Edward Cage bellowed at Robert and Marjani as they crept down the back staircase of his mansion. “You haven’t been dismissed. Now get back up there and tend to my wife. I won’t have you wandering all over this house.”

“We’ve done all that we can for Mrs. Cage,” Robert replied brusquely. “Now, we must depart.”

“You haven’t been looking around the house, have you?” Edward asked.

“No. Are you hiding something?” Robert asked pointedly, aware the Edward would soon realize that they knew that Julian’s nephew had been returned to the Cage’s.

“Of course not!” Edward snapped. “It’s simply that I won’t have you spreading my wife’s illness all over the house.”

“Her illness has already crept into every corner of the place.” Robert continued.

“It has,” Marjani nodded.

Mr. Cage’s face blanched. “I see.”

“Don’t you want to know how Mrs. Cage is?” Robert asked.

“Of course I do!” Edward spat. “Will she survive?”

“I think she will.” Robert sighed. “Though I know she wishes that she would not. Isn’t it strange how one man’s miracle is another’s nightmare?”

“I’ll thank you to spare me your quaint philosophies. Now, about this illness. Are the others in the house in danger?”

“Are you worried for your son?” Marjani asked.

“Hold your tongue, you impertinent…” Edward belched. “But, yes. Yes, I am. Orman is here with us.”

“He should be strong enough to resist it.” Robert smirked. “What about the other child?”

“Other child?” Edward flushed. “What do you mean? Who told you there’s another child here? My man—Odo?”

“Don’t you have custody of your niece, Edolie?” Robert asked.

“Ah, yes, of course, Edolie. No, no. She remained in Marionneaux.”

“Who did you think I meant?” Robert asked coyly.

“That’s what I thought you meant.” Edward lied.

“I don’t know in what health your servants are,” Robert continued, “but, if any of them are weak, I’d keep them from Mrs. Cage for awhile.”

“I’ll have Odo look after her.” Edward replied dismissively. “He’s strong enough.”

“Speaking of Odo,” Marjani began. “Do you happen to know where he’s gone?”

“No.” Edward frowned. “It’s not my place to keep after the servants.”

“Isn’t it?” Marjani hissed.

“Why do you want him?” Edward asked.

“We want him to fulfill the promise he made to us,” Robert spoke up.

“What promise is that?”

“He swore that if we came with him, he’d give us something in return.” Robert replied.

“What is it that you want? Coins? Take as many as you wish!” Edward snarled, removing a coin bag from his pocket and tossing it at them. “Take the whole lot! I don’t care.”

“No.” Robert shook his head. “We want something far more valuable.”

“Such as?” Edward narrowed his eyes.

“The child!” Robert roared. “We know you have the Duke’s nephew. Your man told us.”

“I’ll kill him!”

“If you can find him.” Marjani interjected.

Edward Cage’s eyes darkened and, as his lip quivered with rage, he leaned over like a beast about to pounce.

“I knew you were hinting at something.” Edward said with an eerie calm. “Listen to me. You will not get that boy out of this house. He’s mine! I won’t lose him again!”

“He’s not in the house,” Robert answered viciously. “Your man, Odo, has taken him into hiding somewhere.”

“Perhaps he’s not the fool that I think he is.” Edward smirked. “You’ll never get that child from me.”

“A ship departs for England tomorrow.” Robert threatened. “We will be on it—all of us! Including the child.”

“You’ll have to find him first.” Edward scowled.

“So will you!” Robert sneered before taking Marjani by the arm and leading her to the door. He turned quickly and glowered at Mr. Cage. “It’s a pity that such a fine and noble woman as Mrs. Cage must suffer through life with a man like you. In all my years of practice, I have never before wished that a patient would die. Death, however, would be preferable to a lifetime with you. Good night, Mr. Cage.”

With that, Marjani and Robert left the Cage’s house.

Alone in the corridor, Edward screamed at the top of his lungs. “Odo!” Hearing no response, he stormed out of the house. “You fool! I’ll destroy you!”

At that very moment, further up Royal Street, Gamilla’s hands trembled as she looked out the front door at the unexpected visitor who had some frantically knocked.

“What?” She said, trembling. “What you want?”

“Mercy,” Iolanthe Evangeline replied weakly. “I need help.”

“You come to the wrong house, Miss Iolanthe.” Gamilla said bravely though her body quaked.

“My hands,” Iolanthe whispered, holding her injured palms toward Gamilla. “I’m hurt.”

“You’ll find no mercy here.” Gamilla tried closing the door, but Iolanthe pushed her way into the house.

“You gotta get out of here, you trash.” Gamilla protested.

“This is the home of a doctor. Isn’t it?” Iolanthe groaned. “You may hate me, but he has taken an oath to protect and assist.”

“Not to the likes of you!” Gamilla came forward, trying to push Iolanthe Evangeline out of the house. “You’re nothin’ but trouble.”

“Let me go!” Iolanthe moaned. She shoved past Gamilla and staggered toward the parlor. To her left, she saw Julian/Mr. Punch on the floor—still unconscious.

“What’s this?” Iolanthe hissed.

“You know damn well.” Gamilla huffed. “You was there. You saw that Laveau woman strike this poor man!”

“Poor, indeed,” Iolanthe said, limping toward Julian.

“Stay away from him!” Gamilla shouted.

“What harm can I do him?” Iolanthe asked, holding up her wounded hands again.

“Miss, you don’t need hands for to hurt someone.” Gamilla grumbled. “Now you gotta get out of here.”

Iolanthe dropped to her knees on the floor beside Julian and put her wounded hands on his chest.

“Don’t you touch him!” Gamilla screamed.

“I’m trying to help him.” Iolanthe growled.

“You ain’t got no good in you!” Gamilla stormed forward.

“I have seen men die,” Iolanthe shook her head. “I know what suffering is. Let me put this man out of his misery. In doing so, we will all be free.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-367? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, October 17, 2011 for Chapter 369 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: