Monday, December 5, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 407


"They do look like big dogs, don't they?" Punch asked as he studied the horses that one of the groomsmen hastily harnessed.

"You call yourself an Englishman?" Cecil blistered, half annoyed and half amused by Punch's continued insistence on the matter.

"No, I call me-self, Mr. Punch. Ain't got nothin' to do with bein' English. What I see here got four legs and pointy ears. Sure, its feets is harder and, sure, it's taller and such, but it's much the same. But, that's good, here, for dogs is animals what are loyal an' brave and I 'spect horses is such, too. I'd wager it knows how 'portent this is and will take care to see we get where we need and fast, too."

"I think you've assigned the beast too much..." Cecil began.

Adrienne interrupted her husband. "I believe Punch is correct and his idea comforts me."

"As it should," Cecil blushed. "Forgive me, Mr. Punch, as I am most anxious."

"Course you are, Chum. We all got the nerves what's scratchin' at our insides like mean, dry bones. But, see, I look at this big animal's eyes and I know we'll win. How could we not?"

"For true, Mr. Punch, for true!" Marjani nodded.

"We're ready, Sir,". The groom said. "Shall I drive?"

"No, thank you. I shall." Cecil replied.

"Me, too!" Punch whooped.

Cecil narrowed his eyes.

"Can I a' least sit atop the carriage with ya?"

"Yes, fine." Cecil sighed.

"Coo!"

"Now remember what we must do on our way past the house?"

"Yes, darling." Adrienne replied.

"Gotta grab Robert!" Punch smiled.

"In a manner of speaking." Cecil shrugged.

Moments later, as the carriage and its occupants sped up to the spot where Robert still stood with Barbara Allen and Charles, Punch reached down to grab Robert's hand.

Imagine how shocked Mr. Punch was when Robert urged his family to wait.





Did you miss Chapters 1-406? If so, you can read them in the Chapter Archive.

No comments: