Thursday, January 5, 2012

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 428


Mama Routhe opened her eyes and shivered.  Her first thought was of the child that she had been holding when last her eyes were open.  She shrieked horribly and rose from the narrow, foul-smelling cot on which she had been placed.  Darting across the dim room, she tripped on a low footstool and fell to her knees on the ground, cursing loudly.  She looked up to see a dark hand extended toward her.

Slowly raising her eyes, Mama Routhe looked up to see the grinning face of Marie Laveau gazing down upon her

"I'd rather crawl on the ground for the rest of my life than take your hand, Devil." Mama spat.

"Ain't nothin' to me if you stay on the floor." Marie smiled.  "Still, I think you'd wanna show me some gratitude."

"For what?" Mrs. Routhe growled, standing up on her own.

"For takin' care of you and your family."

"What you mean 'bout my family?"

"Your children and your husband are eatin' breakfast right now cuz o' my kindness.  I done had a man bring vittles to 'em.  Good vittles, better than they're used to.  Told 'em it was a gift from someone you was helpin' out and that you'd be along shortly.  I reckon they're so busy they ain't even missin' ya."

"Helpin'?  I ain't helpin' you do nothin' and you stay 'way from my family!"

"You're welcome," Marie smiled sarcastically.  "See, you gotta learn to be grateful, woman.  I'm grateful.  See?  I done showed my gratitude for what you done for me."

"I ain't done nothin' for you  nor will I ever.  What you do to me?  Where's that fine white baby?"

"He's right where he should be--right where you was takin' him.  He is in the arms of that poor, strange Englishman."

"I don't believe ya."

"But, it's true, woman."

"Then, why am I here?  If you wanted that boy to go to the Duke, why you not let me take him myself?"

"Cuz I needed ya.  And, Odo needed me."

"Odo?  That yellow-eyed weasel from the Cage place?  He done tried to get the baby while I was in the safe house!"

"I talked to him, woman.  Made him see what was right.  He brought the baby to the Duke himself."

"Why?" Mama shrieked.  "Why would he do that?  He's Mr. Cage's most loyal man!"

"I offered him somethin' better than Mr. Cage ever could." Marie grinned.  "Now, come on.  My eldest done made ya some fine cornbread.  You gotta eat.  Keep up your strength."

"I'm not eatin' your cursed food.  I'm not goin' anywhere with you."

"Woman, you don't got a choice."

"I sure 'nough do.  I'm goin' to them docks to see for myself that the Duke got his baby and then, I'm goin' home to my own babies."

"No, honey, you ain't."

"Why not?"

"Cuz that ain't what I want.  You'd ruin everything." Marie shook her head.  "Besides, I ain't done with you."

"You wicked fool.  What you mean?"

"Honey, you're mine now." Marie clucked her tongue.  "Just like Odo.  This is my war now.  Everything is in place and I ain't gonna let you spoil it.  Now, I ain't gonna talk to you like you're dumb cuz I know you ain't.  Not like that Odo.  He's so greedy and cowardly, it's done made him stupid.  He don't know that he just damned himself, his master and those Englishmen.  It's better that way.  But, I ain't gonna lie to you. Now, come and get your cornbread and I'll tell you now you're gonna make all my dreams come true."


Did you miss Chapters 1-427?  If so, you can read them here

No comments: