Thursday, January 26, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 446

Charles peered around the corner of Marie Laveau’s long, narrow house. He had already been, as per the instructions given him by Dr. Halifax and the Duke of Fallbridge, to Mama Routhe’s apartment above the dress shop. There, he had found Mr. Routhe and the Routhe children glutting on a sumptuous breakfast which Mr. Routhe had explained as being provided to them by an unknown, big-hearted benefactor. He had no idea where his wife was and didn’t seem to care.
The Duke’s (or Mr. Punch’s) instructions had been very clear. If Mama Routhe was not at home, then he was to go to Marie Laveau’s to look for her. He was also to be very careful and to keep an eye out for Edward Cage’s man, Odo.

Panting, Charles nervously glanced down the alley to the right of Marie’s house which was more of a dumping ground than it was a means of getting anywhere. At the end of the filthy stretch, he spotted a window and he hurried toward it.

What would he do, he wondered, if he spotted Mama Routhe inside? Would he be able to retrieve her, return her home and make it back to the dock before the ship departed? Dr. Halifax had assured him that he could, but Charles had his doubts.

Charles frowned and sighed. He had promised that he would do anything to get back into the good graces of the Duke’s party, but he hadn’t imagined that Dr. Halifax would have suggested such a dangerous affair. Charles clenched his hands into fists. Hadn’t he put such things behind him when he walked away from Barbara? Still, he thought, it was a small price to pay for the freedom he would gain with a simple life in service to the mad, but kind, Duke.

Cautiously, Charles approached the window and slowly peered inside. He stifled a loud gulp when he saw Mama Routhe alone in a small, smoke-blackened room. She looked worried and drawn.

Gently, he rapped on the window, catching the woman’s attention. She rushed to the window, opening it.

“Mrs. Routhe?” Charles said. “I’m the Duke of Fallbridge’s man. I’ve come to help you.”

“I knew someone would come.” Mama replied with considerable relief. “You gotta get me out of here. She’s gonna make me so somethin’ terrible, I jus’ know it.”

Charles nodded. “Are you alone in the house?”

“No.” Mama shook her head. “Young Marie is in the front room. Her mama has gone out. I overheard them say she’s gone to see Iolanthe Evangeline.”

“Is it just the daughter who is here?”

“Two men—big ones. They’re somewhere in the house.”

Charles looked through the small window. There was no way she could get through it. He peered around the room.

“Is that the only way out?” Charles asked softly, pointing to the door.

“Yes.” Mama nodded. “You gotta hurry. There’s no tellin’ when Marie will be back.”

Charles thought for a moment. “Listen, I have an idea. But, we’ve got to be quick about it.”

“I’m listenin’.” Mama said eagerly.

Meanwhile, at Iolanthe’s bawdy house, Marie Laveau grinned as Iolanthe Evangeline poured two steaming cups of tea from a lovely porcelain pot.

“Ain’t this civilized?” Marie winked. “The two of us sittin’ here in your silken boudoir, sippin’ tea like ladies.”

“There’s no reason we can’t be ladies—sometimes.” Iolanthe smiled.

“’Cept that we’d be foolin’ ourselves.” Marie laughed. “Ain’t nothin’ lady-like about neither of us.”

“Who knows?” Iolanthe shrugged. “There’s always a chance to start.”

“Who are you tryin’ to fool, Iolanthe?” Marie frowned, putting down her teacup. “Why’d you bring me out here?”

“I’ve been thinking,” Iolanthe replied. “We’re neither of us getting any younger. Why keep up this feud. It wasn’t but two nights ago that we were getting to a point of peace between us.”

“Then, you betrayed me.” Marie scowled. “Again.”

“I was wrong to do that.” Iolanthe shook her head. “And, you did punish me for it.” She nodded to her gloved hands.

“That I did.” Marie laughed. “So, are you apologizing to me?”

“I am.” Iolanthe smiled. “Can you forgive me? I don’t want us to be bad friends. You were correct when you said that, together, we could be more powerful than if we were feuding. I see that now.”

“I want to believe you.” Marie smirked.

“So, please do.” Iolanthe replied. “Marie, you’re with child. It’s the dawn of a new day. Let’s put our past quarrels behind us.”

Marie squinted, again picking up her teacup. She brought it to her lips, and, then, paused.

“Come, Marie. Let’s drink to our newfound peace.” Iolanthe grinned, picking up her own cup. She took a long sip of the hot tea.

“Fine,” Marie nodded. She, too, sipped her tea. “It’s good. Where’d you get it?”

“It’s my own special brew.” Iolanthe smiled. “Mala blends it for me.”

Marie winced, placing her hand over her abdomen. Gasping, she shouted, “What you done to me, Woman?”

“Whatever do you mean?”

Marie stood up, wailing in agony. “What you done to me?”

“I’ve done nothing to you.” Iolanthe laughed. “Your child, on the other hand…”



Did you miss Chapters 1-445? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: