Monday, January 30, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 449

Is it true,” Mama Routhe asked as she nervously glanced over her shoulder.
“What’s that?” Charles smiled as they walked.

“What you done said ‘bout Marie bein’ tied up outside Iolanthe’s place?”

“It is.” Charles nodded. “She was bound to a hitching post. People were tossing rubbish at her. She was screaming bloody murder.”

“That ain’t good.” Mama Routhe clucked her tongue.

“No.” Charles shook his head.

“Thing was Marie is, folk think that can best her. And, maybe they can for a minute. But, it only comes right back at ‘em. The angrier she gets, the worse she is.”

“Well, regardless, it worked out well for us. Didn’t it? When Young Marie hurried off to find her mother, it gave us a chance to escape.”

“For now.” Mama Routhe sighed. “She’ll find us.”

“She won’t find me. I’m getting on a ship bound for England.”

“She’ll find ya.” Mama Routhe answered gravely. “You think she won’t, but she’ll fine ya.”

“I can’t afford to worry about that.” Charles smiled. “Presently, my concern is your safety. You’ll be here in the same city with her.”

“Ain’t no good worryin’ ‘bout it, Sir. If she wants me, ain’t nothin’ gonna stop her from gettin’ me.”

“What is it that she wants you to do for her?”

“Midwifery. She wanted me to bring her baby into the world and stay on to nurse it.”

“Why you? I’m sure New Orleans is filled with competent midwives.”

“Not ones with…” Mama Routhe paused. “See, I got senses—ya know?”

“No.”

“You know how Marjani’s got senses?”

“I know what she claims.” Charles replied.

“Ah, you don’t believe. Even after all you seen?”

“I’m sorry.” Charles smiled. “I just can’t.”

“Don’t be sorry. You’ll believe soon enough.”

“If you say so,” Charles replied as they reached the docks. “His Grace and his party are just over there. I’m sure that the Duke and Dr. Halifax will have some idea how to keep you safe.”

“No.” Mama Routhe shook her head. “They know better, them two. They know that if Marie wants me…”

“Let’s just see what they say.” Charles interrupted.

Together they walked over to the Duke’s party.

Mr. Punch jumped up and ran over to Mama Routhe, almost knocking her over with a hug.

“Coo!” Punch shouted.

“Your Grace,” Mama Routhe chuckled. “This ain’t now way for a Duke to behave.”

“I’m…” Punch giggled. He looked serious for a moment, recalling what Robert had said to him earlier. “Well, I am the Duke.” Punch answered. “But, I’m not like other men. I can whoop and shout if I want. No one says a Duke can’t be happy, and I’m happy to see ya, I am!”

“I’m happy for to see you, too.”

“Here, come join us. We got ham! Sure you must be hungry and all that. Let’s get you fed. Gamilla brought some fine vittles what Meridian made up special for us.”

“I couldn’t eat, Sir.” Mama Routhe answered.

“Sure you can. I won’t hear nothin’ else, I won’t. Now, you come and rest and eat.”

“I’ll have to get back to my family, Sir. I just wanted to see with my own eyes that you’re all safe and set to go on your journey.”

“Stay awhile,” Punch pleaded. “Let us hear what happened.”

“Sure,” Mama Routhe smiled.

“And, Charles!” Punch declared proudly. “Ain’t you a fine one? You come back to the family and sure ‘nough, you saved the day, you did. I knew you was a good fella. I knew it! Thank you!”

“As I said, Your Grace, I will spend the rest of my days trying to help you as best I can.”

“Now, come and eat. It’s ham! You like that, you do! I remember!”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Sir?” Mama Routhe said. “When your man Gerry came, Marie made such a fuss. Then here men—they done beat him so. Is he well?”

“He will be,” Punch replied softly. “We’ll make sure of it.”

“One of the men, Sir, they done gave Gerry a bag…gris gris.”

“Yes.” Punch answered uncomfortable.

“What’s come of it?”

“I tossed it in the sea.” Punch whispered.

“Oh.” Mama Routhe sighed sadly. “You hadn’t ought to have done that.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-448?  If so, you can read them here

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I'm so glad that Mama Routhe is safely out of Marie's grasp. I've been worrying about her since Marie first captured her.
I really liked the way you worked a little ham into today's chapter. It made me chuckle. Thank you for letting your devoted readers in on the joke. Very clever the way you worked ham or ham appropriate objects into every post today! That's the way to do it!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Tee hee. I wondered if anyone would notice, Thanks, Darcy!