Monday, January 9, 2012

Treat of the Week: Applesauce Spice Cake with Cardamom and Cinnamon






This weekend, after the holiday craze, we revisited a family favorite—my mother’s Applesauce Cake.  To simply refer to this masterpiece as an “applesauce cake” is to not do it justice. It’s so much more than that. A dense, incredibly moist Bundt cake, this delightful confection is spiced to perfection with cinnamon and cardamom. Cardamom offers a rich, sharp taste which brilliantly compliments the creaminess afforded the cake from the applesauce. If you’re a fan of spice cake, this is definitely for you.

With a wonderful crumb, the cake is tender and melts in your mouth. It’s as beautiful as it is delicious—perfectly sculpted from a delicate Kugelhopf Nordic Ware pan. My mother heartily recommends the Nordic Ware pans for their beautiful patterns and ease of use. Dusted with confectioner’s sugar and served with rosettes of whipped cream, this is the ideal cake for a chilly afternoon tea.








10 comments:

Gene said...

This would be perfect on a day like today.

Matt said...

Joseph, Joseph, you were slow today. Just for that I don't know if you deserve such a nice cake. I'll accept any offerings of said cake as a form of apology or a-pastry.

I'm kidding. But, I'm open to accepting cake.

Shawn said...

What a beautiful cake! You are so lucky to be able to partake of all the goodies you share with us. I think your mother should start her own cooking blog or how about her own cooking magazine? She could give Martha Stewart a run for her money!

Carolyn said...

Gorgeous! I would love to eat that dreamy thing, and the shape would make for a lovely hat, too.

Book Gurl said...

Another beauty. Thanks for the inspiration. Now my day is complete and I agree about giving Martha a run for her money.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, Gene, just the right spice to brighten a day.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I know, Matt. I owe you cake. I'll be more time conscious in coming days.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, thank you, Shawn. I'll pass that on. Now that Martha's show has been cancelled, I agree on the perfect replacement.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I hadn't thought of cake as hat, Carolyn, but now that you say it, in a very "between the wars" kind of way, it would make a delicious hat.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Book Gurl!