Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mastery of Design: The Tsar Alexander I of Russia Snuff Box, 1801-5





Snuff Box, 1801-5
Depicting Tsar Alexander I
The Victoria & Albert Museum



Following the murder of his father, Emperor Paul I, Tsar Alexander I of Russia ruled from 1801 until 1825 when he supposedly died from illness whilst on a journey to the south of Russia.  The news of the tsar’s death was met with doubt and soon, amidst muddy details, rumors arose that he had, in fact, renounced the throne and faked his own death.

Alexander I, notably, was godfather to Queen Victoria of England, who was christened Alexandrina Victoria in his honor.  Queen Victoria kept many images of her godfather near her.  Here’s one such image.

This rectangular gold and enamel snuffbox boasts a cover set with a miniature, under glass, of Tsar Alexander I of Russia wearing the uniform of the Preobrajensky Regiment with the sash and star of the Order of St. Andrew.  The miniature is signed by Domenico Bossi and framed in enamel. Made in St Petersburg, this magnificent box is the work of Otto Samuel Keibel and dates between 1801-1805. 








No comments: