Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 498

 I can get some of the boys to help,” Marie Laveau volunteered as she watched Charles, Gerry, Gamilla and Marjani scurry about. 

“I think we got it,” Gamilla smiled politely.  “Thanks.”

“What ‘bout the children?”  Marie asked.

“Columbia’s with the babies.”  Marjani responded.  “They’re still sleepin’.”

“Well, let me know if you need any help.”  Marie nodded.

“Miss Laveau,” Gamilla paused.  “I jus’ wanna thank ya for lettin’ all of us stay here.”

“Ain’t nothin’.”  Marie shook her head.  “You jus’ remember ol’ Marie kindly, that’s all I ask.”

“I will,” Gamilla nodded. 

“Funny, ain’t it?”  Marie teased.

“Kinda.”  Gamilla smiled.

“So, you ready for to go back to Marionneaux?”  Marie asked.

“I reckon,”  Gamilla sighed.  “I gotta admit, I was ready to go to England.”

“You still wanna go?”  Marie asked.

“I do.”  Gamilla whispered.

“You’ll be comin’ soon enough,”  Gerard interrupted as he paused to pick up a basket of Colin’s toys.  “That’s what Mrs. Halifax says.”

“Sure.”  Gamilla nodded. 

“See.  We’ll all be together soon.”  Gerard grinned.  With that, he carried the basket out to the waiting carriage.

“You don’t believe it, do ya?”  Marie asked Gamilla softly.

“Mr. and Mrs. Halifax done been terrible kind to me.  I got no reason to doubt them…”

“But, it’s hard not to,” Marie nodded.  “I understand.”

Marjani raised her eyebrows as she listened.  “I don’t wanna be rude, but we got a lotta things for to bring out and His Grace, the doctor and Colin gotta get to the docks in an hour.”

“We’ll chat some more, Gamilla, before you go back to Marionneaux this afternoon with the Halifaxes.”  Marie patted Gamilla on the back.  “You git.”

“Yes, Miss Laveau.”  Gamilla nodded before scurrying off.

Alone with Marjani while the others loaded the carriage, Marie tilted her head to one side.  “You still don’t trust me much.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Laveau, but I don’t.”

“That’s strange to me,”  Marie shrugged, “since of the lot, you and I are the most alike.”

“Maybe so,” Marjani shook her head, “maybe we got the same kind of gifts, but we use ‘em in different ways.”

“Ain’t I been good to your people?”

“You have—the last few days.”

“But, you’re slow to forgive.”  Marie smiled.  “I understand.  You’re loyal.  Ain’t nothin’ wrong with that.  I don’t expect you to forgive me.  But, maybe I want to show ya that I’m ain’t as bad as folk think.”

“Oh, I know you ain’t.”  Marjani smiled.  “So, you can rest easy.”

“You’re a puzzle, Marjani Carruthers.”  Marie laughed.

“And I aim to stay so.”  Marjani nodded before carrying another basket to the carriage.
Marie wasn’t alone for long.  Before she had time to blink, Mr. Punch and Robert entered the parlor.

“Coo!”  Punch chirped.  “All this activity.  Maybe I should help ‘em.”

“They’ve got it under control, dear Punch.”  Robert patted his friend on the back.

“Ain’t you two handsome in your new suits?”  Marie grinned.

“Thank you!”  Punch exclaimed happily.  “It’s terrible comfortable, this one.  Look at me waistcoat—it’s red!  Very fine, this is.”

Marie chuckled to herself and nodded.  “You look happy, Sir.”

“I’m happy and sad--if a man can be both at once.”  Mr. Punch sighed. 

“He can.”  Marie smiled. 

“I ‘spose if any man can be two things at once, it’s me.”  Punch mumbled happily.

“Very true,”  Robert winked, putting his arm around Punch’s shoulders.

“You two men look good standin’ there together.”  Marie said firmly.  “I hope you’re always happy.  I truly do. You and your little boy.”

“We will be.”  Robert nodded.  “Thank you.”

“We hope you’ll be happy,”  Punch added.  “You and all your kin and the girls and men what work for ya.  You been so kind to let us stay here and for all you done the last three days.  ‘Specially all you did with Lily.”

Marie shrugged.  “I did it because it was what I was meant to do.”

“Were you able to help Lily sell the diamond?”  Robert asked.  “We didn’t have a chance to see you before we went to bed last night.”

“I did.”  Marie replied proudly.  “Mrs. Cloutier, she bought it right out.  Lily’s now got enough money to give her a good future.  I think, one day, once she’s got a husband, she’ll be a good mother to some other child.  It’s all thanks to you.”

“And to you.”  Robert added.

Punch looked around Marie’s parlor.  “Ain’t it queer?  Three days ago, I’d never thought I’d be here as a guest and now I’m sad to leave.”

“I’ll never forget you, Sir.  I’m honored to have had you in my home—you, the Great Man of the Rocks.  You brought honor to my family.  And, you saved my life.  I’m forever in your debt.”

“As you say, magic chum, ‘ain’t nothin’.”

Marie laughed.

“My brother and his wife will be out shortly,”  Robert said after a short silence.  “And, I’m afraid His Grace and I will be leaving shortly.  I think the Duke has something to tell you.”

“Oh!”  Punch’s eyes widened with excitement.  “That’s true!  Thanks, chum.”  He took Marie’s hand.  “Miss Laveau, I know you’ll say that we shouldn’t, but when we get back to England, me chum and I want to send you a present—a way to thank ya for all ya done.  And, we hope you’ll accept it.”

“I will.”  Marie blushed. 

“Good!”  Mr. Punch chirped.  He flitted over to the window like an eager pup, watching the activity outside.

“Go on, dear Punch, go look at the carriage.”  Robert chuckled.  “I know you want to see the horses.”

“Here!”  Punch whooped before darting out the door.

Marie and Robert grinned at one another. 

“You got your hands full with that one,”  Marie joked.

“That I do.”  Robert smiled.  “And, I could not be happier.”

“Dr. Halifax,”  Marie said, suddenly serious.  “Can I ask ya a question?”

“Certainly,” Robert narrowed his eyes, unsure of which of the many natural questions she could have of that moment.

“Will you, please, make sure that Gamilla is able to come and join you in England?”

“Oh.”  Robert nodded.  “I believe that my brother and his wife will bring her when they come.”

“Well, just in case they don’t make it over there in a hurry, can you make arrangements to send for Gamilla?”  Marie asked.

“I most assuredly will.”  Robert agreed.  “However, may I ask you why you express this concern?”

“It’s just that she wants to go.”  Marie explained.  “I can tell.  And, also, I think she’s terrible fond of your man Gerard.”

“Ah.”  Robert sighed.  “Well, I will see what I can do.  We’re very fond of Gamilla, so I’m sure I speak for both His Grace and myself when I say that she will always be a valued part of her household.”

“I’m glad to know it.”

“Chum!”  Punch called from outside.  “Chum!”

“He wants ya,”  Marie teased.

“Chum!  This horse is called Newton!  Newton!  Fancy that for a horse’s name!  Come see him, he’s like a big, giant dog with shoes on!”  Punch shouted gleefully.

Robert could hear Punch continue to chatter about “Newton, the big, fine, tall dog with shoes.”

Both he and Marie roared with joyful laughter as he walked out to join Mr. Punch.



Did you miss Chapters 1-497?  If so, you can read them here.  Just two chapters remain of Punch’s Cousin.  On Monday, April 2, 2012, a new story, Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, will debut in this spot.  

No comments: