Monday, April 23, 2012

Treat of the Week: Maple-iced Cream Pound Cake




I have eaten a lot of pound cake in my life.  A lot.  I’m a fan.  But, this has to be one of the finest, most luxurious, creamiest, addictive pound cakes I’ve ever eaten.  My mother adapted this new recipe over the weekend, and when Bertie and I visited my parents’ house, we fell in love with this cake.

The pound cake is a cream-based cake.  It has been iced in a mellow, perfect maple glaze.  Now, I’m told that there’s a trick to baking this cake—start in a cold oven.  No pre-heating.  That, apparently, is the key to the development of the glorious texture of the cake and it’s sweet, amazing crust. 

My mother always says that you can tell when a pound cake is good because when you cut it, you can slice the thinnest piece an it holds its shape without falling apart into a mass of crumbs.  And, and you can see, this cake slices beautifully.






15 comments:

April said...

I love poundcake and this one does look perfect.

Gene said...

Oh my, this looks so tasty. I always enjoy this feature on Mondays. Thank you.

Book Gurl said...

Maple is one of my favorite things ever.

Matt said...

I think this is a great idea. A maple glaze makes everything better!

Barb said...

I'm going to make my old poundcake recipe in a Bundt today and try the cold oven idea.

Carolyn said...

I would gladly gain a pound for this cake.

Kathy said...

Everyone always loves these kinds of cakes. Like April says, this one looks perfect. I like the shape and may order the pan.

Sam P said...

Your mom should open a nationwide chain of bakeries for us unfortunate people who have no cake.

Barry said...

Lovely

Marsha said...

So pretty. Sounds good.

Mark said...

This would be tasty with pistachio ice cream.

Angelo said...

Awesome!

Wendy said...

Delicious

Anonymous said...

I would love to eat that.

Anonymous said...

I'd go to that bakery.