Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 102


Chapter 102: 
Your Perspective 



Gerard narrowed his eyes and repeated himself. “I asked you what you’re doin’ up here.”

Ellen shivered, continuing to feign illness. She reached over and placed her hand, dramatically, on Finlay’s arm.

“Are you all right, Miss?” Finlay asked formally.

“Yes, yes,” Ellen rasped. “Gerard startled me.”

“Lower your fist, man.” Finlay clucked his tongue. “You’re upsetting Miss Barrett.”

“She ought to be upset.” Gerard shook his head. “I thought you were sick, Miss. If you are, why are you up here with Finlay? Here where you can spread your illness to the Duke, the doctor and Master Colin.”

“Doctor Halifax told me that I must take some exercise. It’s far too chilly for me to go outside at this hour. So, Finlay kindly volunteered to walk with me around the house.”

“How do you even know the man?” Gerard squinted. “You took to your room the very moment we arrived here. Can’t see how you’d have had a chance to even meet the staff here.”

“Finlay’s been very kindly bringing me my tea. We’ve gotten a few opportunities to chat and I must say, he’s quite a sympathetic and caring man.” Ellen lied.

Gerard nodded slowly. “So, you’re takin’ exercise? This late at night?”

“One of the great mysteries of the human body.” Ellen sighed. “I find myself stricken with fatigue during the day, and, then, at night, I feel a bit stronger.”

Finlay nodded. “Aye, Miss. The body is a curious thing. Let’s continue our walk, then, and leave Gerard to his…” Finlay grinned. “Silver.”

Ellen smiled slightly. “Gerard, I might ask why you’re up here as well. Were you on your way to the Doctor’s room?”

“No.” Gerard responded.

Looking up, Ellen pointed as the nursery door opened and Gamilla entered the passage. “Or perhaps, you’re here to see someone.”

Gamilla smiled as she came out. “I thought I heard voices. Figured it was Dr. Halifax. Miss Ellen! You’re out of your room. How good! You must be feelin’ better, then.”

“Yes,” Ellen whispered. “I’m getting up a bit as Dr. Halifax suggested.”

“That’s right nice.” Gamilla replied.

“We should be moving on.” Ellen said quietly.

“Is Finlay helpin’ ya?” Gamilla continued.

“Obviously,” Ellen frowned. She caught herself, however, and tried to affect a more pleasant demeanor.

Gamilla looked hurt.

“Oh…” Ellen moaned softly. “I think I’m feeling light-headed.”

“Perhaps I should take you back downstairs.” Finlay suggested.

“I think so.” Ellen nodded weakly.

“I can help.” Gamilla volunteered.

“Thank you, Gamilla.” Ellen shook her head. “You’re so sweet and kind. But, Finlay will take me. You should really take advantage of this chance to see Gerard. I’m sure you’ve not had much time together. Poor Gamilla—you’ve been stuck in the nursery doing my work all this time.”

“I don’t mind. I love bein’ with Master Colin.” Gamilla smiled.

“You’re an angel.” Ellen fluttered. “An angel.” She coughed again.

“I’ll take you now, Miss.” Finlay said. “Good night, all.”

“Good night, Miss. Good night, Finlay.” Gamilla said sweetly.

Gerard was silent.

Once Finlay and Ellen had walked off, Gamilla walked up to Gerard, making sure not to get too close.

“You know, Gerry, you shoulda done said good night.”

Gerard shrugged. “I don’t like that Miss Barrett.”

“Still no reason for to be rude.”

“She don’t deserve any kindness. ‘Milla, I don’t see why you’re so good to her when she’s always talkin’ down to ya.”

“She ain’t doin’ no such thing, Gerry.” Gamilla sighed. “She’s my friend.”

“Is she?” Gerard sniffed. “Dearie, she’s as false as paste. She’s don’t care one lick ‘bout you.”

“How can you say that?” Gamilla asked. “She been so good to me. She gave me a journal and flowers and all.”

“And, makes you do her work for her while she pretends to be sick.”

“Pretends? She ain’t pretendin’. She’s really sick. Dr. Halifax done looked her over and all.”

“Dr. Halifax don’t like her neither.”

“Maybe so, but he ain’t rude to her.” Gamilla replied.

“Only ‘cause the Duke is just like you…always givin’ folks a chance.”

Gamilla’s eyes filled with tears. “You don’t think I should? I gave you a chance, Gerry. You was no good once. You and that Arthur! You hurt the Duke and Dr. Halifax. But, they gave you a chance and so did I.”

“Do you regret it?” Gerard frowned.

“Maybe I do.” Gamilla replied softly.

“After I been standin’ here waitin’ for ya? Just to see ya. Just to maybe have a word from ya.”

“I didn’t ask you to.” Gamilla whispered.

“Don’t worry, girl. I ain’t gonna do it again.”

With that, Gerard stormed off.

Gamilla watched him go—her face contorted in a combination of anger, confusion, fatigue and sorrow. She let her tears fall.

“Gamilla,” A voice said from behind her. She turned around to see Robert—wrapped in his dressing gown.

“Oh, Dr. Halifax.” Gamilla sobbed.

“Now, don’t cry.” Robert smiled. “Everyone fights with the person they love from time to time.”

“You don’t, Sir.”

Robert chuckled. “Do you think His Grace lets me get away with anything?”

Gamilla giggled quietly, wiping away her tears. “Did ya hear us?”

“Only partly.” Robert replied. “I assume you were arguing about Miss Barrett.”

Gamilla nodded.

“Sometimes, Gamilla, two people who agree on almost everything will disagree about one thing in particular. When this happens, instead of butting heads, it’s often best to just let the other person have his opinion. Just as you have your reasons to like Miss Barrett, Gerard has his reasons to dislike her. I don’t think you’ll ever come to a mutual opinion. Nonetheless, you needn’t let it drive a wedge between you.”

“I reckon so.” Gamilla said.

“Now,” Robert nodded. “If I know Gerard, and I’m sure that I do, I’m fairly certain you’ll find him sulking in the courtyard. Why don’t you go talk with him?”

“Thank you, Doctor.” Gamilla smiled.

“Go on, now.” Robert replied.

As Gamilla hurried off, Robert joined Mr. Punch in his bedchamber.

“Hullo, Chum!” Punch chirped from under the desk in the corner of the room where he sat with Dog Toby. “Thought I heard voices out in the passage. Everythin’ all right?”

“It will be.” Robert grinned. He knelt on the floor and, crawling on his hands and knees, joined Punch and the dog under the desk.

“What ya doin?” Punch asked.

“Seeing things from your perspective.” Robert winked as he put his arm around his companion.





Did you miss Chapters 1-101? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 103.

No comments: