Friday, October 19, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 168


Chapter 168: 
The Best Part 


I insist that you unhand me,” The baron snapped as Johnny dragged him into the stables.

Johnny ignored the man.

“Do you know who I am?” Baron Lensdown snarled.

“Sure. You’re the one what sullied my daughter and my son.” Johnny roared.

Baron Lensdown couldn’t quite argue with that.

Suddenly, as they reached the farthest end of the stone building, Johnny tossed the baron into the straw.

The fall knocked the wind out of the man who grunted. “What…what will you do with me?”

“Look!” Johnny pointed behind the baron.

“What is it?” the baron asked.

“Look on her!” Johnny shouted.

“Is it Ellen?” The baron shook. “I…I… couldn’t stand to see her…not like that.” He struggled to sit up and, when he finally did, Johnny looked at the man and grinned.

“Go on.” Johnny pointed again. “Look on my girl.”

“I already saw her in death.” The baron whimpered.

“See her again!” Johnny demanded. He raised his right leg as if he’d kick the baron in the teeth.

Lensdown scrambled backward. He could feel his back brush up against Ellen’s body.

“Oh!” the Baron Lensdown squealed. Finally, he turned slowly and looked down. He shuddered at the sight of Ellen—dried blood crusted on her forehead.

“At least you could have closed her eyes.” Lensdown rasped.

“I can do that myself.” Ellen grinned.

Lensdown shrieked like a child and scurried into the corner of the stable stall as Ellen sat up, laughing heartily. Johnny, too, howled with laughter.

“What is this nightmare?” Lensdown trembled.

“Oh, Victor,” Ellen coughed, brushing straw from her apron. “You’re so disappointing.”

“As are you.” The baron retorted. “You can’t even die properly.”

“That madman didn’t kill me. He just knocked me out for awhile. He’s not quite as swift as he thinks he is.” Ellen replied. “Aren’t you glad I’m not dead?”

“Of course.” Lensdown nodded slowly. He looked to Johnny. “Why all of the theatrics, then? Couldn’t you have told me that Ellen was alive?”

“I done what me girl asked me to do.” Johnny replied dryly.

“Look Victor, as much as I’d be thrilled to enjoy an emotional reunion with you, I simply must press you back into service.”

“Oh?” The baron frowned. “After the shock I’ve just had, I’m lucky to still be breathing.”

“My dear, I was presumed dead and I’m still functional.” Ellen scowled. “All you had to endure was a minor fright.”

The baron sighed.

“Now, Father tells me that Finlay’s gotten himself caught.”

“How?” Lensdown asked.

“I’m not exactly sure.” Ellen shrugged. “It seems that the Duke and his little band of merry fools have managed to tie him up. I want you to extricate him.”

“How am I to do that?”

“You’re a baron, you’ll think of a way. Appeal to the Duke as a peer. Tell him you wish to help by removing the man from his care.”

“I have no authority nor credibility in that house, especially with the Duke. Lady Constance has been insisting to all who’ll listen that I’m the one who murdered her mother.”

“Why would she do that?” Ellen asked.

“I couldn’t say.”

“Perhaps because you fathered a child with her.” Ellen smiled. “Darling, don’t underestimate me. I know all that you do. I know you’ve been colluding with Finlay behind my back. I know where you’ve been and what you’ve done there. Always.”

“Then, you should know that since the Duke already suspects me of criminal activity, he’s unlikely to hand Finlay over to me.”

“That’s not my problem.”

“And, what should I do with him should I get him?”

“Take him to the hunting cottage.” Johnny grunted.

“You’ve managed to get the Duke’s man, Charles, and that blonde maid there, yes?”

“Yes, Lass.”

“Good. Father, thank you.” Ellen nodded, unaware that Charles, Vi and Lennie had already escaped. “We’ll need them.”

“That other girl is there, too. Who’s that one, Lass?” Johnny asked.

“What other girl?” Lensdown raised an eyebrow.

“She’s…” Ellen began. “She’s my former…she was Roger’s nurse once. You remember Roger, Victor? The man who went mad after you injured him?”

“I’m so glad you’re alive, Ellen.” Lendsown smiled wryly.

“Don’t be talkin’ like that.” Johnny shouted.

“That’s fine, Father.” Ellen rubbed her head. “Victor was just leaving.”

“I don’t know how you expect me to do this. You can’t get blood out of a turnip.”

“Maybe not. But once you’ve tried, if all else fails, you can cut up the turnip and eat it.” Ellen smiled. “And, sometimes, that’s the best part.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-167? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 169.



No comments: