Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 177


Chapter 177
The Only Door 



What did ya do, Lennie?” Mr. Punch asked once he, his sister, Charles and Robert had gotten a distance from the stables where Johnny Donnan and “Ellen” remained.

“I didn’t know what else to do.” Lennie responded quickly.

“So, you thought, ‘I’ll just pretend to be in league with her.’” Punch frowned.

“Would you have preferred that I strike her across the cranium with a large object?” Lennie smiled slightly.

“Sometimes that’s best.” Punch shrugged his shoulders.

“But, not always the most effective method.” Lennie chuckled. “I couldn’t have very well confronted her about her deception with that beast standing there watching every move I made.”

“That beast, Lennie, is your father.” Mr. Punch said softly.

“I know.” Lennie sighed.

“Listen, new sister, I know what it’s like havin’ a parent what’s a monster. Our ma was a real terror, she was.”

“So, I’ve been blessed with the realization that both of my parents were horrid.” Lennie frowned.

“Julian were fortunate to have his pa what was a kind, gentle and reasonable man. And, you had the man what raised ya. Maybe he wasn’t really your pa…”

“But, he was a good man. To me, he’ll always be my father no matter the circumstances of my birth.”

“That’s the way to do it.” Mr. Punch smiled.

“This doesn’t change the fact that Miss Lennie has put herself in a terrible position.” Charles interrupted.

“You’re very outspoken, aren’t you, Charles?”

“That’s one of Charles’ traits which we most admire.” Robert spoke up.

“I can see why, I suppose.” Lennie replied. “Perhaps if I were more upfront with my thoughts and opinions, I wouldn’t be such an emotional, timid person all of the time.”

“Lennie, there was nothing timid about what you’ve just done.” Robert shook his head.

“I really don’t know where I found that courage.” Lennie sighed.

“It’s cuz you’re me sister,” Mr. Punch said proudly. “You know what needs doin’ and ya do it.”

“I never have before.” Lennie chuckled.

“Is that so? Didn’t you take care of Roger for many years? I’m quite familiar with your cousin-brother. Had his hands ‘round me throat the day we first met, he did. I know that it takes a fair ‘mount o’ bravery to deal with him. ‘Specially to do so with kindness and understandin’. I reckon you’re a fair amount braver than what you give yourself credit for.”

“Thank you, Julian.”

“Errr…” Mr. Punch shook his head.

“Oh, I’m terribly sorry.” Lennie blushed.

“That ain’t nothing.” Punch shrugged. “It’s confusin’.”

“Are you ever Julian?” Lennie asked hesitantly.

“Well…” Mr. Punch looked to Robert.

“We’ve not had an appearance by Julian in quite some time.” Robert explained. “He seems quite content to let Mr. Punch live their life for both of them.”

“He’s in here.” Punch thumped his chest. “He’s happy ‘nough. He loves Robert and Colin as I do and takes his joy by watchin’ our life from within.”

“I wish Roger could find such peace.” Lennie inhaled.

“We hope that one day he will.” Robert said. “And, His Grace and I will see to it that we do all we can to encourage it.”

“Thank you.”

“Meanwhile,” Charles interjected. “That imposter thinks you’re going to help her in her deception.”

“Yes.” Lennie squinted. “I intend to lull her into a place of comfort and trust, and, then, see to it that she receives the punishment she deserves. If I’d confronted her, regardless of the presence of Mr. Donnan, she’d have fled. We’d never have had a chance to see justice served.”

“We do need to ensure that this is handled with care. The woman is wholly unstable. There’s no telling what sort of mayhem she may bring.”

“With Finlay neatly tucked away, we have less to worry us.” Lennie shook her head.

“Do we?” Charles asked. “Don’t you imagine that one of the first things she’ll do is find Finlay and attempt to free him.”

“Even if she did, would Finlay go with her? He now knows that the woman is not his sister—that I am.”

“Who can tell with Finlay?” Punch scowled.

“He will always pick the door which yields the greatest reward for him.” Charles grumbled.

“We’ll just have to see to it that the only door available to him is the one that leads him to us.” Robert smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-176? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 178.


No comments: