Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 199




Chapter 199
Single Women 



Good morning, Speaight,” Robert said brightly as the butler entered the morning room.

“Good morning, Sir.” Speaight nodded. “I’ve just come to inform you that breakfast will be served in ten minutes.”

“Very good.” Robert nodded. “His Grace will be down presently. Charles assisted me first.”

“I were certainly be relieved when Gerard is able to return to his duties, Sir.” Speaight replied.

“As will we all,” Robert answered. “Simply because we want him to be well.”

“Of course, Doctor.” Speaight concurred.

“Though I must say, Georgie has been of great help these past few days. He’s shaping up to be quite a little footman. We’ll have to find a way to promote him once Gerard is back at work.”

“I’ve been thinking about that, Sir.”

“Good.” Robert nodded.

“I shall bring the breakfast trays in as soon as they Duke arrives.” Speaight continued.

“He’s bound to be ravenous this morning. His Grace was awake most of the night—thinking. And, we all know that his hunger only grows when he’s much on his mind.” Robert smiled.

“Yes, Sir.” Speaight answered. “Speaking of which, Dr. Halifax, Hutchinson has readied the carriage for your departure to the palace.”

“Excellent.”

“You’re departing at 10:30?”

“Yes.” Robert replied, picking up the “Illustrated News.” “Thank you.”

Speaight nodded, but did not move though he knew he’d been dismissed.

“Is there anything else?” Robert looked up.

“Well, Sir. We’ve a rather delicate matter downstairs.”

“Oh?” Robert put down the paper.

“Yes, Sir. However, perhaps we should wait until His Grace is present to discuss it.”

“I’m sure His Grace wouldn’t mind if you told me. The Duke usually defers household matters to me.”

“True, Sir.” Speaight paused. “However…”

“Are you still feeling poorly?” Robert asked.

“Oh, no, Doctor. I’m quite recovered.”

“Then, what is it?”

“Well, Sir, it’s Hutchinson. We found him most disagreeable last night.”

“I find him wholly disagreeable most of the time. He’s good with the horses, however. And, since his post doesn’t require him to interact with many people, I’ve always ignored it.”

“More disagreeable than usual, Sir.”

“How so?”

“He was speaking ill of the family.” Speaight sighed. “I had concluded that there was no need to mention it and risk upsetting His Grace, however, after I’d dismissed the man to his quarters, he was spotted in the mews speaking with two women.”

“Ah.” Robert frowned. “’Single women,’ as they’re known?”

“Perhaps.” Speaight nodded. “We could not see their faces clearly, but we could tell that they were most animated in their conversation.”

“Did you confront the man?” Robert asked.

“No, Sir.” Speaight shook his head. “Just as I was about to go outside, to break up the…conference…the party dispersed. By the time I was in the area, Hutchinson had retreated to his room.”

“Well,” Robert shook his head. “I think the best approach is to keep an eye on the man. It could have been innocent enough. If you see anything else of the sort, tell me and we’ll address it. Though I must say, I’d be rather surprised. I rather thought that Hutchinson had eyes for our Violet.”

“I think that, Sir, is the opposite.” Speaight replied.

“I see.” Robert sighed. “Well, as I said, it could have been quite innocent. Let’s just monitor the situation.”

“Will you tell His Grace?”

“I’ll mention it.” Robert said. “No need to worry.”

“Thank you, Sir.” Speaight said. “I’ll see to breakfast.”

“Very good.” Robert answered, picking up his paper again.

Once Speaight had left, Robert grumbled to himself. “Stupid man…bringing prossies to the home of the Duke of Fallbridge. For his sake, I hope it was a mistake.” He shook his head. “But, it never is, is it?”





Did you miss Chapters 1-198 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them
here. Come back tomorrow to read Chapter 200.



No comments: