Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 200




Chapter 200
Respectable
 



For God’s sake, woman.” Hutchinson hissed. “Are ya daft? What’re you doin’ here in the light o’ day.”

“Oh, calm yourself, Hutch.” Eudora Stover scoffed. “The Duke and his pretty man are eatin’ their breakfast.”

“They’re due out any minute now,” Hutchinson snapped. “See this?” he pointed to the carriage. “I’m takin’ ‘em to the palace.”

“Well, la dee da.” Eudora sniffed. “Ain’t it grand? The madman Duke visitin’ the Queen. What’re they doin’ there?”

“How should I know?”

“You can hear ‘em talkin’ in there.”

“Not so well.” Hutchinson shook his head. “All I know is they got business at the palace. Somethin’ ‘bout a merchant.”

“But, you’ll tell me when you find out more?” Eudora smiled.

“You know I will.” Hutchinson replied uncomfortably, looking over his shoulder.

“Don’t worry so much, Hutch.” Eudora grinned. “When the fancy men come out, I’ll duck into the area.”

“And have Mr. Speaight or Mrs. Pepper see ya? I think not.”

“Maybe then, I’ll dart into the mews and slip into your room.”

“I’d rather you didn’t.”

“Oh, you break my heart.” Eudora flirted.

“Why’d ya come here anyway?”

“Maybe I couldn’t get ya outta my head.” Eudora winked. “Maybe I wanted to see what kind of man you are.”

“You know what kind of man I am.”

“Do I, then?” Eudora frowned. “Seems to me maybe you’re like them fancy blokes you drive around.”

“How’s that?” Hutchinson snapped. “Because I don’t want a whore like you.”

“Well…” Eudora snarled. “Don’t need to bite me head off.”

“I’d not put my mouth anywhere on ya. Listen here, Eudora, this is business we got here an’ nothin’ more.”

“Why can’t business be a bit of a lark, too?”

“Not with you.”

“Oh, is it that you fancy Hortence?”

“No.” Hutchinson shook his head.

“Oh, come off it, Hutch. I saw the way you was lookin’ at ‘er last night, I did.”

“Listen, I always hated that bitch and I always will. Like I said, this is just business. I want to make somethin’ o’ me-self. I want a little shop, I want a house of me own. I want a wife. A respectable wife.”

“Like that little snip of a blonde. What’s ‘er name? Violet?”

“That’s not your concern.”

“Maybe it is.” Eudora answered. “Hutch, we got a sure thing here. Now that Ellen’s joined us, we can hit it big! We just gotta make sure we don’t get distracted.”

“Who’s distracted?”

“Seems you are.” Eudora replied. “Maybe that blonde has turned yer head. Maybe you want to be respectable for her.”

“I’ll so whatever I gotta to get the life I want. Once I done it, I ain’t never gonna do it ‘gain.” Hutchinson replied. “Let’s just be quick about it.”

“That’s up to you, ain’t it?”

“Go away, Eudora.” Hutchinson mumbled. “They’ll be out soon.”

“So what if they are. They don’t own ya. You’ve not gone soft for ‘em, have ya. All I hear is how good and kind they are. You know what kind of stock the Duke comes from. You know he’s barkin’ mad.”

“Sure, sure,” Hutchinson replied.

“Oh, Cor!” Eudora chirped.

“What now?”

“I got a grand idea.”

“What’s that, then?”

“We can make this go ever-so much quicker.”

“How’s that?”

“Maybe they gotta make another appointment before they see the Queen.”

“Oh?”

“Sure.” Eudora winked. “Why wait?”

“What do you have in mind?”

“Leave that to me.” Eudora said. “You know what your part is.”

“Fine, wiman.” Hutchinson growled. “But, ya gotta get outta here.”

“Too late.” Eudora winked. “Here comes your masters.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-199 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 201.



No comments: