Friday, December 7, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 206





Chapter 206
A Clue



For Pete’s Sake,” Orpha sneered. “Have either of you ever seen soap?”

“What’s the matter, honey?” Eudora guffawed. “Our scent not what you’re used to? Maybe you smelled of roses when you was rottin’ in the workhouse.”

“Don’t matter none.” Hortence laughed. “Soon we’re gonna smell of money.”

Orpha smiled.

“What’s that grin, then, Ellen?” Hortence asked.

“Orpha. My name is Orpha.”

“You spent so much time makin’ people call ya ‘Ellen,’ and now you’re back to that ugly name?” Eudora frowned.

“It suits me.” Orpha replied curtly. “And, I’d caution you, Eudora, to cast judgment on the prettiness of anyone’s name.”

Eudora blushed. “Where’s ol’ Hutch, then? He ought to be here by now.”

“Had to take the fancy men to the palace.” Hortence smiled. “He’ll be along.”

“I do wish he’d hurry.” Orpha sniffed.

“If it bothers ya so much, dearie, you can go stand by the window.”

“Oh, I’ve smelled worse.” Orpha grumbled. “It’s only that I’ve another appointment.”

“Ain’t she that important?” Hortence teased. “Who with?”

“It’s not your concern.”

“Is it a gent?” Eudora winked.

“Yes.” Orpha answered.

“Maybe it’s that Baron Lensdown what you’ve been…”

“It’s not.” Orpha interrupted. “Nothing like that. Let’s not dwell on it. I simply don’t want to keep the man waiting. He’s a fierce temper when left to himself.”

“Oh?” Eudora nodded. “I understand.”

“I’d say you do.” Hortence clucked her tongue. “I ain’t never met a man with a worse temper than your pa.”

Eudora shook her head. “Aint it so, dearie?”

“I was under the impression that your father was imprisoned.” Orpha raised her eyebrows.

“Oh, he was.” Eudora nodded. “But, he’s out now.”

“Does he know that your brother has been killed?” Orpha asked.

“Aye.” Eudora answered. “He’s lookin’ for blood, too.”

“You told him, I hope, that Dr. Halifax is responsible.”

“That I did.” Eudora nodded. “Fancy that doctor tellin’ me that it were you what killed our poor William.”

“Yes, fancy that.” Orpha replied. She glanced out the window.

“What’s on your mind, Ellen?” Eudora asked. “You ain’t gotta worry ‘bout ol’ Hutch. He knows better than to cross us.”

“I’m not worried about Mr. Hutchinson.” Orpha replied. “And, please, call me Orpha.”

“Right.” Eudora nodded. “But, somethin’ is weighin’ heavy on ya.”

“I was just thinking about my own brother.”

“Just lost ‘im, didn’t ya, dearie. See, we ain’t so different.”

“Only he weren’t really your brother.” Hortence smiled. “Was he? He wasn’t even your cousin. You gone and started to believe all them tales you been tellin’.”

“No.” Orpha snapped. “I know very well who I am. Just because Finlay Donnan wasn’t my brother nor any of the Barretts for that matter, doesn’t mean that I don’t have a brother of my own.”

“Oh, I hadn’t thought of that.” Hortence muttered.

“Nor I. You’re that convincin’. When we learned you wasn’t really the Duke’s kin nor the Barretts’, we rather figured you was all alone in the world. You was in a workhouse, after all.”

“I have a brother.”

“Still livin’?”

“Yes,” Orpha nodded.

“Do ya see ‘im?” Hortence asked.

“Yes.” Orpha smiled. “However, he doesn’t know who I am.”

“More’s the pity.” Eudora nodded.

“I suppose.” Orpha replied. She thumped a table angrily. “Where is that man? All he had to do was deliver the men to the palace! He was to come straight back here before he picked them up.”

“Don’t fret,” Eudora smiled.

“What if the Duke…” Hortence wrinkled her nose.

“What?” Eudora asked.

“What if he done somethin’ to Hutch?”

“By reachin’ through the carriage?” Eudora laughed.

“After they stopped.” Hortence scowled.

“Not possible. The Duke and his fancy man know that if they say a word we’ll get that fine baby of his.” Eudora shook her head.

“I’m surprised at you,” Orpha grinned. “You’ve so many children of your own, I’m rather shocked you don’t value the life of a child more.”

“That’s why.” Eudora winked. “I got too many of me own.”

Orpha sighed. “I simply must go. I don’t want to keep my appointment waiting. I’ll return immediately afterwards and I expect to hear what happened with Hutchinson. Surely he’s much to report. You know that the Duke and Dr. Halifax must have confronted him.”

“We’ll keep you that informed, dearie.” Eudora nodded.

“I’m sure you will.” Orpha said, gathering up her things and slipping from the filthy house.

Alone with Eudora, Hortence howled with laughter. “Stupid bitch.”

“Ain’t she though?” Eudora chuckled.

“Don’t have a clue what’s ahead for ‘er, does she?”

“Let’s hope not,” Eudora sighed. “Let’s hope not.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-205 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 207.
  




No comments: