Monday, January 21, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 238




Chapter 238 
A Fine Time 


What do you think you’re doin’?” Violet asked as she saw Gerard stiffly enter the Servants’ Hall.

“Got lonely,” Gerard replied sheepishly.

“Gamilla’s gonna have you for supper when she sees you came down all those stairs.” Violet clucked her tongue. “But, now you done it, you come on in here and sit in your chair.”

Violet led Gerard to his spot at the table.

“My chair.” Gerard smiled.

“Since you’re here, may as well eat with us.” Violet rolled her eyes as she went to the hutch to fetch Gerard’s plate and flatware.

“Downstairs dinner now?” Gerard squinted. “They already eat upstairs?”

“No.” Violet shook her head. “Trouble upstairs. His Grace said we should eat first.”

“What’s goin’ on?” Gerard asked. “Where is everyone?”

“All in the kitchens, best I can tell.” Violet shrugged. “’Cept George. He’s in the area talkin’ with the new stableman. They’re quite the chums, them too. God knows where Mr. Speaight is. The Duke called for ‘im not long ‘go. All red in the face, poor Mr. Speaight.”

“What’s happenin’ upstairs?”

“Dunno really,” Violet answered. “Somethin’ with Lady Lensdown and Lady Hamish. Some off-lookin’ package come down here. The Duke and the doctor acted all funny ‘bout it. Miss Lennie, too. Then, Charlie comes down with a bruise on his cheek. Seems the Duke tossed Lady Hamish into the streets. I don’t know more. Miss Lennie’ll tell me later, I’m sure.”

Gerard gingerly rose from the table.

“Where do ya think you’re goin’, Mr. Gurney?” Violet asked.

“To find Charlie.”

“Not while I’m watchin’ ya.” Violet shook her head. “He’s just in there with Mrs. Pepper. You’ll see ‘im soon ‘nough.”

“Dr. Halifax said I should be walkin’ ‘round.” Gerard argued.

“’Round your room, yes.” Violet said firmly. “Not up and down stairs and all over the servants’ hall. Don’t think ya can fool me. Gamilla keeps us all well up on what’s goin’ on with ya.”

Gerard smiled and sat down. His smile faded. “You said there was a package?”

“From Orpha Polk.” Violet nodded.

“Oh, it ain’t that bad, is it?” Gerard winced.

“Sent a long braid of hair from some girl. Just like she done to me.” Violet sighed.

“Whose was it?”

“Dunno.” Violet shrugged again. “Some girl called ‘Fern.’ Upset Miss Lennie quite a lot. Dr. Halifax said he couldn’t tell us more cuz it was a private matter and not theirs to tell.”

“See…Charlie came and told me ‘bout that Lady Hamish last night. She’s trouble, that one. I’m glad the Duke threw her out.”

“This Fern girl…is she somethin’ to do with Lady Hamish.”

Gerard nodded. “Can’t say no more. Charlie told me in confidence.”

“What’d I do?” Charles asked as he came into the hall.

“Cor!” Gerard barked. “What got at you?”

“Lady Constance.” Charles rubbed his face. “She’s stronger than she looks. But, Mrs. P’s got me all doctored now. What are you doing down here, Gerry?”

“He was lonely.” Violet laughed.

“Well, I was.” Gerard pouted.

“You sure picked a fine time to come down. Right in the middle of trouble.”

“Vi was tellin’ me.”

“Not much I was,” Violet inhaled. “We don’t know nothin’.”

“Here!” Mrs. Pepper squawked through the pass-through. “I don’t mind you talkin’, but if Mr. Speaight comes from upstairs and finds ya all tellin’ tales of our betters, he’ll have some words for ya. And, know he’’ll make a meal of it. He’s not too pleased with them goin’s-on and he don’t like when the dinner plans are delayed. So, you’d all best scatter. And…” Her eyes widened… “Damn it all, Gerard Gurney! What are you doin’ down here?”

“He was lonely.” Charles and Violet said in unison.

“You’ll be more lonely in your grave when them stitches pop open and your guts spill out.” Mrs. Pepper shouted.

“No, I won’t. If I’m in my grave, I won’t know if I’m lonely cuz I’d be dead.”

“Look, cheeky boy.” Mrs. Pepper narrowed her eyes. “I ain’t above goin’ up to the nursery and getting’ Gamilla.”

“Why does everyone threaten me with Gamilla?” Gerard chuckled.

“You know better than anyone why.” Charles smiled.

“Well, as you’re here,” Mrs. Pepper winked. “And, don’t think this as my approval for you bein’ sneaky, why don’t ya have a bit of a savory before dinner. I was gonna send this up special for ya, thinkin’ you were a good boy. Don’t know why I should give it to ya now, but…” She placed a basket of cheddar straws on the ledge. “Share ‘em with your mates. There’s a lad.”

“Oh…” Charles teased, walking over to fetch the basket. “I don’t get any special things like this all of my own.”

“You stand at my table whenever you ain’t upstairs and eat whatever passes by ya, Charles.” Mrs. Pepper huffed. “You don’t need no more than ya get. The Duke of Fallbridge don’t want his valet gettin’ fat, does he?”

“I’m the same as I was when I was nineteen, Mrs. Pepper.”

“Not if you keep eatin’ as ya do.” Mrs. Pepper smiled. “Now, go on and give them savories to Gerry—though I’ve a good mind to go get Gamilla.”

“I’ll be good, Mrs. P.” Gerard smiled.

“See that ya do.” Mrs. Pepper smirked. “Vi, be a dear and fetch Georgie and that young man from the area. As soon as Mr. Speaight comes down, we’ll have our dinner, then.”

“Yes, Mrs. Pepper.” Violet nodded.

“Mrs. P., what’s your take on the trouble upstairs?” Gerard asked.

“I don’t know nothin’.” Mrs. Pepper shook her head. “And, I’m not gonna know nothin’ ‘til Mr. Speaight goes to bed. Ya hear? We’ll talk ‘bout it, then. Ain’t no good gettin’ Mr. Speaight all puffed up.”

“Yes, Mrs. P.” Charles and Gerard nodded as they munched their snack.

“Well, ya won’t believe what I found in the area.” Violet scoffed as she returned to the hall. She dragged Jenny and Ethel by their aprons behind her.

“What’s this, then?” Mrs. Pepper bellowed. “Out flirtin’ with the lads?”

“I’d not flirt with Georgie.” Ethel frowned.

“My boy not good ‘nough for ya?” Mrs. Pepper scowled. “Maybe he ain’t a man o’ marble like Dr. Halifax, but I’ll have ya know he’s every bit as handsome as his pa was.”

“Ain’t that, Mrs. Pepper.” Ethel shook her head.

“Just what were ya doin’, then?” Gerard asked.

Ethel and Jenny exchanged glances.

“Come on, then.” Charles added.

“Here, you ain’t supposed to be down here.” Ethel said, slyly trying to change the subject.

“Mr. Gurney is a valet and a footman. He can be where he likes. But, a kitchen maid and a scullery…well…” Charles said sternly.

“We just wanted some air, Charles.” Ethel lied. “Ain’t it that, Jenny?”

Jenny looked frightened. “Sure it was.”

“We got air in the kitchen.” Mrs. Pepper snapped. “And, in the scullery.”

“But…” Ethel began.

“Move!” Mrs. Pepper shouted. “Back to your places. The house all at sixes and sevens and you two out in the area with the lads. What’re you like? I won’t have Mr. Speaight see no trouble down here…not tonight. You go get yourselves ready for dinner, and, then, we’re gonna all sit and be pleasant. Ya hear?”

“Yes, Mrs. Pepper.” Ethel nodded.

“Jenny?”

“Yes, Mrs. Pepper,” Jenny repeated.

“Well, I don’t know what they’re like.” Mrs. Pepper muttered. She scratched her nose. “And, Charles, don’t go lettin’ Gerry eat too much. No good ‘im burstin’ open at my table.”

With that, she slammed shut her pass-through.

Violet and Charles chuckled as they looked at Gerard.

“Oh, sure, you picked a FINE time to come down.” Charles winked.



Did you miss Chapters 1-237 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 239.



No comments: