Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 239





Chapter 239 
As She Asks


I do not question your wisdom, Your Grace,” Lady Lensdown began, “however, I fear that now that you’ve ejected Constance that her more…primitive side will show itself.”

“I don’t doubt it.” Robert shook his head. “All the more reason to remove the woman from our home and away from our child.”

“Isn’t it awful?” Gertrude continued, “But, when I found her mother’s poor, mutilated remains, I thought, ‘Constance has finally done it. She finally silenced the Countess.’”

“I’d never have thought her capable.” Robert sighed. “Until dear Punch told me what she’d confessed to his man, Charles, I thought her too mousy, too much under the thumb of others to act so violently.”

“That’s why she done what she done, my Robert.” Punch interrupted. “We seen many murderers, we have. Ain’t they all different? Seems to me that a body who is so much controlled, so much abused, would be one of the first what’s gonna act in a violent way. It’s a pity that any of it has to come to pass. Cruelty’s only gonna breed more cruelty.”

“And, we’re surrounded by it.” Gertrude pressed her hands together. “I’m all the more worried for my children. You saw what the letter from that mad Polk woman said. Next would be an ear…”

“Orpha’s quarrel isn’t so much with you as it is Constance. I reckon now she’s got the notion that by stayin’ here too long and not deliverin’ your husband, Constance has betrayed her.” Punch replied.

“It’s neither Constance nor Gertrude with whom Orpha has a quarrel.” Lennie said softly. “It’s me.”

“Lennie…” Punch began.

“It’s me, Punch. You read the letter. She’s asked for me. I betrayed her. I revealed her charade. It is because of me that she now feels trapped. It’s because of my admission that she lost her stronghold. It’s because of me that she felt the need to toy with the lives of innocent children.”

“No.” Punch shook his head. “No matter what, she’d have done all she could to make a miserable life for all. Lennie, Orpha Polk, as we’ve learned, is capable of all sorts o’ horrid things. Weren’t you what pushed her to any o’ ‘em. You are just as much a casualty of her wretched campaign as those innocent children of which you speak.”

“Your brother is correct, Lennie.” Robert nodded.

“I concur.” Gertrude added.

“He’s sweet and gentle, my brother is. And, so kind to not only say what he has, but also to believe it. But, Punch, I made a bargain with that devil when I allowed her to use my name and take over my life. I was the one who agreed, and I was the one who broke the agreement. She has every right to want to make me suffer.”

“Surely you don’t believe that.” Robert spoke up.

“I do, Robert.” Lennie responded.

“Well, I certainly don’t.” Mr. Punch frowned. “We’ll have no more talk of it.”

“No, we shan’t.” Lennie stood up.

“I question your meaning, Lennie.” Robert narrowed his eyes.

“I’ve made up my mind. I need to set this right again.”

“What’re you sayin’?” Punch asked.

“I shall do as she asks.” Lennie continued.

“What?”

“I shall give myself over to her.” Lennie answered.



Did you miss Chapters 1-238 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 240. 





 

No comments: