Friday, January 18, 2013

Object of the Day: Invest Your Money in Punch!







I love his smile. There’s something about Mr. Punch’s smile that I find very appealing. I’m surrounded by smiling Punchinellos, as you all know. And, no matter the maker or the medium, somehow, they all have the same smile—a grin of intelligence, mischief, and, yet…there’s a reassurance in it also. He’s reassuring you that though his antics may seem wild, it’s all going to work out.

Take a look at Punch’s smile on this handsome vintage letter opener which was given to me for Christmas. There he is, looking quite smart in brilliant enamels on brass, his face set against a raised “wax” seal. Beneath his bi-corned hat, we see his sparkling eyes and that reassuringly wild smile.

This letter opener was made as an incentive to advertisers to place ads in Punch Magazine. Just a way to keep Punch in front of potential advertisers’ eyes… 


The metal is inscribed:

NEVER SPECULATE IN ADVERTISING BUT “INVEST” YOUR MONEY IN PUNCH 
THE PROVED AND TRIED DIVIDEND-PAYER 


Well, I think that’s very reasonable, indeed.

I just love this item. Looking at his little red face gives me great joy and inspiration. So, it’s nice to know he’s still serving his purpose, even in the following century.




No comments: