Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 266




Chapter 266 
A Tree, Growing 


With Charles dispatched, along with Gerard (whom had been allowed by Dr. Halifax to leave his recovery bed), to go to Lady Constance’s home further along Belgrave Square, Punch left Fern in Violet’s care and sent for his sister, Speaight and Gamilla. Mrs. Pepper stayed with Colin while Gamilla joined the others in the Morning Room.

“So, as you can see,” Punch shook his head. “We didn’t have no choice, but to take the girl in. Her father ain’t gonna claim her, and far as I know, the Hamish cousins don’t know that Constance ever had the girl in the first place. We can’t let her go to a workhouse.”

“Certainly not,” Robert said firmly.

“Of course not, Your Grace.” Speaight nodded.

“I thought that the room next to the nursery, the coral room, would make a nice spot for the girl. It’s got a nice view of the garden, and all. And, I thought she’d like the color. Anythin’ what she needs, we’ll get for her, of course.”

“I shall be happy to confer with Mrs. Pepper to make a list of things that a girl might require.” Speaight volunteered.

“I’ll assist you with that, Speaight.” Lennie spoke up.

“Most of all, we don’t want to treat her no different than we would anyone who really were family.” Punch nodded.

“No,” Robert shook his head. “The poor child has been through quite an ordeal. She’s bound to be sensitive at first, perhaps even melancholy. We must all be patient with her.”

“We’ll make her feel at home, Your Grace.”

“I know you will.” Punch smiled.

“Charles and Gerard have gone to fetch some of her things, however, first they must contend with…the removal of Lady Constance. His Grace asked for them to find a beadle and bring him to the house.”

Gamilla looked at the floor. “Least, maybe they can get some o’ the things she likes best so she can feel at home.”

“Now, Gamilla, I know this is gonna add to your own work a lot and we’ll see that you get any help ya need.” Punch began. “Speaight, if you can call the agency and get a nursery maid right away. The girl don’t need a governess right away.”

“I will do that forthwith, Your Grace.” Speaight nodded.

“Gamilla, Dr. Halifax and me…well, we prefer it that you spend most o’ your time as you have—with Colin. But, should the girl need ya…”

“I’ll look after her, too, Your Grace…ain’t no trouble at all.” Gamilla smiled.

“I shall as well,” Lennie spoke up.

“You already got a lot what needs your care regardin’ Ethel.” Punch answered.

“I looked after my brothers…or, pardon me, my cousins while…Mr. Barrett was will.” Lennie responded awkwardly. “I can divide my attention quite well.”

“We don’t doubt it,” Robert nodded.

“The girl is with Violet who is assisting with her bath.” Punch said. “We don’t got nothin’ for her to wear ‘til Charles and Gerard return.”

“Leave that to me.” Lennie nodded.

“I’d also like to get some food in ‘er.” Mr. Punch continued.

“I’ll have Mrs. Pepper prepare a tray for…” Speaight paused. “What are we to call the girl, Your Grace?”

Robert and Punch exchanged glances.

“Dunno.” Punch said finally. “She ain’t got a surname as she ain’t legitimate.” He looked up at Lennie. “I don’t mean anythin’ by that, by the way—not anythin’ bad nor judgmental.”

“I didn’t take it as such, dear brother.” Lennie smiled softly.

“Many folk don’t got a surname, Your Grace.” Gamilla added. “I never done and I won’t for three more weeks when Gerard and I is married.”

Punch smiled. “We look forward to callin’ ya Miss Gurney, too.” He looked to Speaight. “For now, call her Miss Fern. I reckon I should, since she is to be my ward…call her Molliner.”

“Or Halifax.” Robert suggested.

“Oh?” Punch grinned.

“Well, while we consider Colin to be equally our son, he is…legally…” Robert looked uncomfortably around the room.

“I don’t think there’s a soul in this house who don’t know already or suspect that Colin is really me nephew. The boy looks for all the world a Molliner.”

“True,” Robert nodded. “We could refer to this young woman as Fern Halifax and spare her any scrutiny. We could say that she came from my family in America. There’s no way of actually confirming that. Of course, dear Punch, we’d share parental duties as we do with Colin, but I rather like to think that a child—even briefly—might have my name.”

“Then, it’s settled.” Punch said. “She will be Fern Halifax. Should anyone ask, she’s a cousin to the doctor what lives with us here.”

“Very good, Your Grace.” Speaight nodded.

“I think it’s truly wonderful,” Lennie smiled. “You’re both so generous. I…” She shook her head. “I’m always so moved by it.”

Punch chuckled. “We only do what’s needed.”

“Your Grace,” Gamilla shook her head. “You know that ain’t so.”

Punch shrugged.

“Besides,” Punch changed the subject. “It’ll be good for Colin to have a cousin, it will. Here, we got a regular family tree growin’. Never thought I’d have a son…even one adopted.”

“Nor I.” Robert laughed.

“Now, we got ‘im a cousin and true auntie and all.” Punch nodded. “Ain’t it somethin’?”

“Yes, Your Grace.” Gamilla grinned. She rose. “If you’ll pardon me, I’d best get back to Master Colin, but on my way, I’ll look in on Miss Fern.”

“I’ll see what I’ve got that she can wear until Charles returns with her clothes.” Lennie stood as well. “And, then, brother dear, I’ll return to Ethel for awhile.”

“We shall expect you back down for breakfast.” Robert replied.

“Certainly.” Lennie answered.

Once Gamilla and Lennie had exited, Punch turned to Speaight who—throughout the conversations and despite Punch’s request to the contrary—remained standing.

“Speaight,” Punch began.

“Your Grace?”

“There’s more.”

“I rather figured it, Sir.”

“Fern comes to us through unpleasant circumstances.” Robert began.

“That Orpha Polk had her, she did. And, she wants her back, no doubt. That’s gonna mean trouble ahead.” Punch explained.

“Furthermore,” Robert continued. “Lady Lensdown’s children are still in Orpha’s grasp. We received news today which makes it all the more imperative that we extricate them as soon as possible. Lady Lensdown can be expected to take the news of Fern’s arrival in an emotional manner. Is she up yet?”

“I don’t think so, Sir.”

“If you see a sign of her, will you please tell her that His Grace and I would like to speak with her?”

“Yes, Dr. Halifax.” Speaight nodded. “I’ll send Georgie with a letter for the agency as well to send prospective nursery maids.”

“Thank you.” Robert answered.

“Much as I hate to say it, you may as well mention the need for an under-house maid, a kitchen maid and a groomsman driver.” Punch sighed. “Attics’ll be full in a few days.”

“I’m sure that Mrs. Pepper and Violet will be glad of the assistance.” Speaight replied. “The driver, of course, will stay in the mews with Jim.”

“Then, we can send Her Majesty’s man back.” Punch nodded.

“When I’ve finished, shall I come upstairs to help you both dress?” Speaight asked.

“I think we can dress ourselves this mornin’.” Punch smiled.

‘As you wish.” Speaight answered before leaving the room.

“Pity Jenny’s not with us no more,” Punch sighed once alone again with Robert. “She’d have liked to have seen Fern. Poor soul.”

Robert squinted.

“Wouldn’t she have done, Chum?”

“Oh, yes.” Robert nodded. “Most certainly. Our Jenny was always so thrilled by children. As is Ethel. That’s what I was just thinking.”

“You think maybe seein’ Fern, talkin’ to ‘er, and such…that that would help Ethel?”

“And, perhaps help Fern.” Robert suggested.

“Ain’t you clever?” Punch winked.

“I’ve learned to be.” Robert grinned. “From your example.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-265 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 267. 















No comments: