Friday, May 3, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 319





Chapter 319 
Sure Enough 


You’re sure?” Lennie asked, touching the back of her elaborate coiffure.

“You look like a picture,” Mr. Punch smiled.

“I agree.” Robert nodded.

“I did it without Violet’s help.” Lennie shook her head. “I should have asked Gamilla to dress my hair. But, she’s still training Ruthy, and…well, with Violet recovering I…I…had to do it myself.”

“You did a splendid job.” Robert affirmed her.

“I still can’t believe it.” Lennie fluttered past the men toward the pier mirror in between the two tall windows in Punch’s library.

“That’s just the way I felt when I first went to the palace.” Robert replied.

“But, why…why would Her Majesty request that I come?” Lennie shook her head.

“Because she wants to meet me sister.” Punch answered.

“Did the letter say that?”

“Her Majesty said that since we were coming, we should bring you because she’d like to make your acquaintance.” Robert chimed in.

“How does she even know I exist?” Lennie mumbled.

“We’ve told Their Majesties of you.” Robert responded.

“What’s there to tell?” Lennie shook her head again.

“Much. Much good.” Punch replied.

“Oh…this dress. I’m not sure about this dress. I wish the dove grey one had arrived. I…I don’t know.”

“It’s a beautiful dress.” Punch interrupted.

“The color. I’m not sure about the color. This… It’s probably too bright for court.”

“It’s a lovely color.” Robert smiled.

“But, it’s so…green!” Lennie sighed.

“Lennie.” Punch began.

“I know.” Lennie sat down. “I’m sorry.”

“Ain’t nothin’ to be sorry for. I understand, I do. You’re nervous. It’s daunting, it is, to go the palace at any time, but the first time is always the most frightenin’. But, Her Majesty wants to meet ya because of the good things we said ‘bout ya.”

“What if I act a fool?”

“You won’t.” Robert shook his head.

“Listen, Lennie, if she don’t think me a fool, she’s not gonna think you one.” Punch joked. “Just think of it as meetin’ an old friend of your brother’s.”

“Who happens to be the Queen.” Lennie replied.

“We showed ya what to do and you know how to address Her Majesty.” Punch said gently. “Otherwise, just talk to her as you would a trusted lady.”

Speaight entered the library. “Your Grace, the carriage is at the ready.”

“We’ll be down in a moment.” Punch nodded.

After Speaight exited, Lennie shivered. “I think I may be sick. My corset is too tight.”

“You will not be sick.” Punch shook his head. “What your’e gonna be is brilliant. I’m sure of it.”

“I wish I could be so sure.”

“You don’t gotta be sure.” Punch smiled. “I’m sure ‘nough for both of us.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-318 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 320. 




 

No comments: