Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 332




Chapter 332 

A Perfect Day 



Is Mr. Barrett comfortable, Your Ladyship?” Gamilla asked.

“Yes, he’s in the library with His Grace,” Lennie nodded, “enjoying a puppet show.”

“Ain’t that nice.” Gamilla smiled. “I reckon he’ll be goin’ back to his rooms soon.”

“Yes,” Lennie replied. “As soon as we can secure a new custodian for him while the other poor man recovers. Dr. Halifax thinks he can have someone quite dependable within the day.”

“I’m glad to know it. Thank goodness for Lord Colinshire.”

“Oh, I’m not used to these titles yet.” Lennie sighed.

“Mr. Speaight was very clear we should address you proper.”

“I confess, I’m rather going to miss hearing you call me Miss Lennie. I like the way it sounds with your gentle accent.”

Gamilla smiled. “Well, Miss Lennie, maybe when it’s just the two of us, I can still call you that.”

“Thank you.” Lennie replied. She looked around. “Where’s Ruthy?”

“Just in the night nursery, givin’ Master Colin his bath.”

“Do you think you can leave your post for a few minutes?” Lennie asked.

“I don’t see why not.” Gamilla answered. “Did ya need me for somethin’?”

“I do, something very urgent.” Lennie replied.

“Well, then, let me jus’ tell Ruthy where I’m goin’.” Gamilla looked curiously at Lennie.

A few moments later, Gamilla returned to the day nursery and nodded. “I got a few minutes, Miss Lennie. How can I help ya?”

“I need you to come with me to my room. If you don’t mind…”

“Not at all.” Gamilla answered.

The two women retreated to Lennie’s room where a large package, wrapped in white paper with a bright pink ribbon sat on the bed.

“What’s this?” Gamilla asked.

“Open it and see.” Lennie grinned.

“Is it?” Gamilla’s eyes widened. “Is it my…dress?”

“It is.” Lennie giggled. “It just arrived. I had Charles bring it in here. I know it’s selfish, but I couldn’t wait to see it.”

“Neither can I!” Gamilla hurried to the package. With shaking hands, she untied the ribbon, pausing to notice the label. She stopped and read it aloud. “To the future Mrs. Gerard Gurney. No. 65 Belgrave Square.” Her voice trembled. “I…”

“I know.” Lennie nodded. “Now, open that package before I die of curiosity!”

“Yes, Miss.” Gamilla laughed. Taking the lid off of the box, she gasped.

“Oh…is that a good reaction or a bad one?” Lennie asked nervously.

“Good, Miss Lennie. Very good.”

“Let’s see it, then!”

Gamilla lifted the gown from the box.

“Oh, my…” Lennie pressed her hand to her heart.

“It looks just like the one that was ruined. Look how well they done matched the silk to the color Marjani made for me.”

“It’s magnificent. Oh, and the little blossoms made from ribbon…”

Tears welled in Gamilla’s eyes. “It’s like it’s the dress I done dreamed of. How’d they know? How’d they know to match it so well to what we done made? I didn’t think I described it well at all when we was there.”

“You did a very fine job of it, Gamilla.”

“Miss Lennie?” Gamilla grinned slightly. “Did you…did you have an’thing to do with this?”

“Well, perhaps I sent a little note afterwards, just to give the dressmaker a sense of what I recalled of the original.”

“Oh, Miss.” Gamilla shook her head. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Gamilla, you’re as much a part of this family as I am. In fact, maybe more so. You’ve been here longer than I. His Grace and Baron Colinshire and I simply want your day to be as perfect as possible.”

“It will be, Miss.” Gamilla sniffed. “If all of you are there to witness it.”

“We’d be nowhere else.”

“Oh, dear, I’m sure Ruthy’s finished Master Colin’s bath by now. I’d best get myself back to the nursery. If I ain’t there to tell her, Ruthy never knows what to do next.”

“She is rather dependent, isn’t she? But, she’ll learn soon enough.” Lennie said. “If you don’t mind, I’ll take this to your room and lay it out so it won’t wrinkle.”

“No, Miss. I’ll do that. Wouldn’t be fit for you to do that.”

“Nonsense, I want to.” Lennie replied. “It’s not everyday I get to lay out a wedding dress.”

“Soon enough, I’ll be arrangin’ yours.”

“Oh, you’ve been listening too much to my brothers. There is no wedding for me in the offing.” Lennie chuckled.

“Don’t be so sure, Your Ladyship.” Gamilla grinned. “And when that time comes, if you’ll let me, I’ll be right there to see that your day is perfect, too.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-331? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 333 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.






No comments: